Spending cap limits Associated Students candidates to $800

Associated Students campaigns for the 2013 elections begin this Friday and a new bylaw for the candidates’ campaigns established a spending cap of $800.

A.S. elections coordinator Omar Espinoza said the spending cap was suggested by the restructuring committee and is a way to encourage more students to run for A.S. positions.

“We wanted to have more candidate turnout so they don’t feel discouraged of the financial issues of running and spending close to $2,000 for one of the executive positions,” Espinoza said.

A.S. Vice President of External Affairs Tom Rivera said the change was also meant to encourage candidates to meet students instead of relying on flyers and campaign signs.
“There’s been a subtle feeling on campus that you have to have a lot of money to be able to run, and we wanted to take the money out of the equation,” Rivera said. “$800 is still a decent amount of money to get your point across.”
Rivera said in a year when three or more candidates run for each of the top five positions, the spending would increase. When there’s only one candidate for a position, Rivera said the spending decreases.

“I spent probably $850 running against one person,” Rivera said. “The most ever spent, of what I’ve heard of, is $5,000, but that’s on the crazy high end—a super outlier.”
The spending cap doesn’t only apply to campaign signs and flyers. An expenditure sheet with proof of receipts is required for other services, including graphic design, videographer and photographer services.

If candidates decide to appear on a sign together they will not be able to split the price and instead, each candidate will be deducted the total cost of the banner.

“This isn’t discouraging teams or slates,” Espinoza said. “It is basically saying if you want to have a big sign, it would be better for you to have one sign for yourself since you have to take the full value than sharing the sign and having your name a lot smaller.”

This rule also applies to sharing a banner with two names, although sharing the same logo on a sign doesn’t apply.