Aztecs set to battle the Lobos

02_27_13_Sports_MensBball_MLFrontcourt:

Aztecs: 

The frontcourt had a respectable offensive performance last Saturday in a win against the University of Nevada. Senior forward DeShawn Stephens and sophomore forward JJ O’Brien combined for 24 points on 11 of 13 shooting. Freshmen forward Skylar Spencer contributed on the defensive end, recording four blocks in Saturday’s win, along with setting a freshman single-season record with 47 blocks at San Diego State and the most blocks for a freshman in the Mountain West Conference.

Lobos: 

Seven-foot redshirt sophomore center Alex Kirk is having a noteworthy season so far for the Lobos, averaging 11.4 points and eight rebounds per game. He’s coming off a massive game against Colorado State where he recorded 19 points, 10 rebounds, and three blocks as the Lobos handed the Rams their first home loss of the season. Kirk’s frontcourt teammate junior forward Cameron Bairstow is 6-foot-9 and is averaging 8.5 points and 5.3 rebounds this season, which are more than SDSU’s frontcourt players. The Aztecs must do their best on Wednesday to contain the size and length the Lobos possess in the frontcourt.

Edge: Lobos

Backcourt:

Aztecs: 

There’s no secret the Aztecs’ backcourt has carried the team’s success this season. Junior guard Jamaal Franklin had 23 points and 12 rebounds against Nevada on Saturday marking his 10th double-double of the season. Junior guard Xavier Thames and senior guard Chase Tapley both scored in double figures against the Wolf Pack, combining for 27 points.

Lobos: 

Junior guards Kendall Williams and Tony Snell have emerged to become one of the best backcourts in the conference as they lead the Lobos, combining for 25.9 points per game. Williams is coming off a career game where he scored 46 points against Colorado State on Saturday. Despite the outstanding performance by Williams, Williams and Snell will have to contain Franklin, who was last season’s Mountain West Conference Player of the Year, and Tapley, who is second in the conference in 3-point shooting percentage.

Edge: Even

Coaching:

Aztecs: 

Since coaching the SDSU men’s basketball program in 1999, head coach Steve Fisher has turned the culture of Aztec basketball around. He’s made SDSU a nationally respected basketball program with three-straight NCAA Tournament appearances, one of them including a trip to the Sweet 16. Fisher last lost at New Mexico on Feb. 6, 2010.

Lobos:

Steve Alford is in his sixth season as the head coach at UNM. Since he began coaching, the Lobos have reached the NCAA Tournament two times, but has failed to ever reach the Sweet 16. Alford has far less coaching experience in the MWC, and his team has lost to the Aztecs at home in their last two appearances.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles:

Aztecs:

SDSU will come into New Mexico with an 8-5 conference record. Four of its five losses in conference play have been on the road. Although the Aztecs previously blew out the Lobos last time by 21 points, the Lobos have improved, going 6-1 and remaining undefeated at home in conference play.

Lobos:

New Mexico leads the conference with a 10-2 record, remaining one of the two nationally ranked teams from the MWC. Although the Lobos only put up 34 points when they faced the Aztecs, they will be determined to seek vengeance on the Aztecs after being handed their biggest blowout loss this season. With the home crowd behind the Lobos, look for them to come out aggressive and determined to get the win.

Edge: Even

Prediction:

New Mexico 69, SDSU 65

Aztecs set to battle the Lobos