SDSU to take on Air Force on Senior Night

03_06_13_Sports_2_MLBackcourt

Aztecs: It will be the final home game for seniors Chase Tapley and James Rahon. Both remain 3-point shooting threats, combining for 3.1 3-point shots made per game. Junior Jamaal Franklin, last season’s Mountain West Conference Player of the Year, still continues to lead the Aztecs in scoring and rebounding.

Falcons: The backcourt of the Air Force Academy Falcons is led by senior Michael Lyons, whose 18.1 points per game lead the Mountain West Conference in scoring. Playing alongside Lyons is senior Todd Fletcher, who leads the Falcons with 3.9 assists per game. Despite Lyons being the conference’s leading scorer, the Falcons will need to contain the Aztecs’ 3-point shooting threat.

Edge: Aztecs

Frontcourt

Aztecs: Senior DeShawn Stephens, a junior college transfer, will also be playing his final home game at SDSU. He’s coming off a solid performance against the University of New Mexico last week when he recorded eight points and seven rebounds on 4-of-5 shooting. Sophomore JJ O’Brien and freshman Winston Shepard have continued to play well in the frontcourt, combining for 13.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. All three frontcourt players combined for 20 rebounds the last time they faced the Falcons, which were as many rebounds as the entire Air Force team.

Falcons: Seniors Mike Fitzgerald and Taylor Broekhuis lead the Falcons’ frontcourt combining for an average 18.6 points and 7.9 rebounds per game. Although the numbers look respectable when combined, Broekhuis is averaging just 3.9 rebounds per game standing at 6 foot 10—taller than any SDSU player. The Falcons don’t have a player averaging more than 4.1 rebounds per game.

Edge: Aztecs

03_06_13_Sports_1_ML

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Steve Fisher currently has the Aztecs at 8-6 in conference play, tied for fourth place in the MWC. The last time his team lost at home on Senior Night was during the 2004 season against Air Force. With his team losing a close game the last time they faced the Falcons, Fisher and his coaching staff will draw up a new game plan to ensure a victory for the Aztecs this time around.

Falcons: Dave Pilipovich is in his first full season as the head coach for Air Force. So far, the Falcons are 7-7, good enough for sixth place in the MWC. His team has struggled on the road in conference play, going 1-6 when away this season.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles

Aztecs: The Aztecs know the last meeting against the Falcons resulted in a disappointing loss. Look for them to come out playing to win for the graduating seniors and to send the Aztec fans home happy.

Falcons: Although the Falcons defeated the Aztecs in their last meeting, the falcons will face a determined team with redemption on their minds. With just a 1-6 conference road record this season, it’s tough to see the Falcons stealing one away from the Aztecs on Senior Night.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction

SDSU 73, Air Force 59