SDSU to face Boise State in opening round

03_13_13_Sports_BoiseStatePreview_11_DMAztecs: The San Diego State backcourt played an exceptional regular-season finale, despite falling 69-65 to Boise State on Saturday. Senior guard Chase Tapley, junior guard Jamaal Franklin and junior guard Xavier Thames combined for 50 of the Aztecs’ 65 points, while grabbing 20 of the team’s 32 rebounds. Thames led the team in scoring with 18 points, while Franklin recorded his 12th double-double of the season, finishing with 15 points and 13 rebounds.

Broncos: Sophomore guards Derrick Marks and Anthony Drmic went on a tear as they defeated the Aztecs in the final regular-season game. The two combined for 50 of the Broncos’ 69 points, with Marks recording 27 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Drmic shot 4 of 9 from 3-point range against the Aztecs. He is currently No. 5 in the conference in 3-point shooting percentage.

Edge: Aztecs

Frontcourt

Aztecs: The Aztecs frontcourt play has been questionable for most of this season. Against Boise State, senior forward DeShawn Stephens finished with five points and three rebounds, while sophomore forward JJ O’Brien finished with just four points and one rebound. If the Aztecs hope to pull off a win against Boise in their third meeting this season, the frontcourt must step up and have a better performance this time around than they did on Saturday.

Broncos: Last meeting, it seemed as if senior center Kenny Buckner was only on the court for one reason: rebounds. He finished with no points, but recorded 11 rebounds against the Aztecs, matching a season high. While the Broncos made it obvious they were running the offense through their backcourt, the Aztecs frontcourt must not sleep on Buckner or the Broncos’ frontcourt. Four of Buckner’s 11 rebounds were offensive.

Edge: Even

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Steve Fisher finished 21-9 overall this season and 9-7 in conference play. It’s rare to see his team lose back-to-back games, but it has happened twice already this season. As of now, Fisher has the Aztecs tied at No. 4 with the Broncos in the Mountain West Conference. Because of Fisher’s coaching experience and past accomplishments, it’s safe to predict the Aztecs will make deep run in the conference tournament.

Broncos: In his third season as the head coach of Boise State, Leon Rice has improved his team since last year. The Broncos were just 3-11 in MW play last season. This season, Rice’s team has as many wins as the Aztecs with identical overall and conference records.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles

Aztecs: Last season, the Aztecs defeated the Broncos during the first round of the MW tournament on a Franklin 3-point shot at the buzzer. The Aztecs have reached the MW tournament finals the last four seasons. After learning from previous successes, this team understands what it takes to make a deep run in the conference tournament

Broncos: Despite having the same record as SDSU, Boise State lacks experience playing in this tournament while being on neutral ground. It’s hard to see the Broncos beating the Aztecs in two consecutive games.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction

SDSU 60, Boise State 57