A.S. election results announced, voter turnout breaks record

Next+years+A.S.+Board+of+Directors+%28From+left+to+right%29%3A+Morgan+Chan+%28University+Affairs%29%2C+Josh+Morse+%28President%29%2C+Becca+Cohen+%28Executive+VP%29%2C+Javier+Gomez+%28External+Affairs%29+and+Mariah+Kelly+%28Finance%29.+Photo+by+Stephanie+Saccente%2C+senior+staff+writer.+
Next year’s A.S. Board of Directors (From left to right): Morgan Chan (University Affairs), Josh Morse (President), Becca Cohen (Executive VP), Javier Gomez (External Affairs) and Mariah Kelly (Finance). Photo by Stephanie Saccente, senior staff writer.
Next year's A.S. Board of Directors (From left to right): Morgan Chan (University Affairs), Josh Morse (President), Becca Cohen (Executive VP), Javier Gomez (External Affairs) and Mariah Kelly (Finance). Photo by Stephanie Saccente, senior staff writer.
Next year’s A.S. executive board (From left to right): Morgan Chan (VP of University Affairs), Josh Morse (President), Becca Cohen (Executive VP), Javier Gomez (VP of External Relations) and Mariah Kelly (VP of Finance). Photo by Stephanie Saccente, senior staff writer.

Associated Students held an A.S elections results party Thursday evening at East Commons to announce the elected A.S representatives and executive board for the 2013- 2014 school year. The elected student leaders will be sworn into office on May 1.
In the past decade, the 2009 school year held the record for the most voter turnout with 15.5 percent  and 4,909 votes cast. This year, that record was exceeded with 18 percent  voter turnout and 5,138 votes cast.
“This is the highest in A.S history,” A.S. Elections Coordinator Omar Espinoza said. “So this is a record breaking year.”
The winners were announced in reverse ballot order as well, with names displayed on a screen  to show the audience how many votes each candidate received.

The executive board for the 2013-2014 school year:

• President: Josh Morse
  • Executive Vice President: Becca Cohen
  • Vice President of University Affairs:  Morgan Chan
  • Vice President of Financial Affairs: Mariah Kelly
  • Vice President of External Relations: Javier Gomez

“Win, lose or draw, the amount of support that I had from everyone and their encouragement was great,” finance junior Morse said. “This was the icing on the cake and because it’s been the most contested it’s been in years and that we had the highest voter turnout rate ever, it makes it that much better that I won and the victory that much sweeter.”
Gomez said he is thankful for the support from his peers and the amount of effort all of the candidates put into their campaigns. He said he looks forward to serving the school and uniting the students’ voices.
“It’s been four years of preparation and it’s been a lot of hard work,” political science senior Gomez said. “So I’m just really excited  and I’m really thankful for all the other candidates. They put their best effort forward and everyone ran a good campaign.”