Take a break from unhealthy habits and spring into shape

Spring break is right around the corner, and students are planning their vacations and getting ready to take a break from their everyday schedules. Many students are looking to get fit and healthy before spring break arrives. However, for many college students, trying to get in shape can seem discouraging. With classes, midterms, homework and extracurricular activities, it may seem like there’s no time to work out. Although a college student’s schedule can be hectic, there’s always time to get in shape.

Students can enhance their physical fitness and well-being by participating in the many fun and accessible resources on campus. The goal of exercising is to feel great and comfortable with your body, not to reach a size zero. San Diego State students still have time to work on their personal health goals and feel great.

This spring break, students can end the cycle of unhealthy habits and laziness by making the most of their weeklong vacations. Trying out fun new ways of getting active makes living a healthy lifestyle easy. Students interested in an alternative spring break excursion can take part in Aztec Adventures, a program led by Associated Students. Aztec Adventures combines the appeal of a spring break road trip while engaging students in active outdoor activities. The program provides students with opportunities to visit interesting places and participate in white-water rafting, rock climbing, canoeing and more. Participating in such alternative spring break programs gives students a chance to break bad habits, such as staying home and eating junk food. It’s important to interact with people who are also looking for fun, active ways to spend their breaks to it make it easier to stick with an active lifestyle.

Finding time to work out doesn’t have to be a struggle. Instead of grabbing a latte or buying unhealthy snacks during those one-hour breaks before class, why not go to the Aztec Recreation Center and sweat away some calories? The ARC is conveniently located on campus and includes a wide variety of resources with affordable membership plans. It’s open 24 hours a day—except on weekends when it’s open until midnight—making it convenient for students to schedule their workout routines around busy schedules.

An ARC membership also includes nutritional counseling that helps students figure out the right diet for them. Providing access to nutrition counseling can guide students with both general nutrition and specialized vegetarian diets, as well as weight loss and gain free of charge.

Students can also learn to make healthier eating choices on and off campus by taking a look at the ARC’s Healthy Eating on Campus handouts. The handouts give students tips on how to replace unhealthy high-calorie options with healthier alternatives.

Students still have time to get active and eat right before spring break arrives. Many students want to live a healthier lifestyle, but think they don’t have the time. However, by setting aside time to join the ARC, participating in an alternative active spring break trip excursion and eating healthier, students can begin healthier lifestyles in no time. Spring break is almost here. Now is the perfect time to start working toward the body you want.