Spring spontaneity is in the air

Oh, spring break: how I’ve longed for you so. You are a signal of so much more than wild drinking escapades and bad decision making. Freshness fills the air with your sweet, flowery scent and the sun’s warm rays invite me to the outdoors to bask in your glory. Cool, crystal-clear swimming pool water begs to be swam in and awakened from its winter slumber. The beaches call my name, not to mention you signal the end of the school year is near.

I’m not madly in love with spring break—it’s just a crush, OK? I’m just really excited for a week of class-free enjoyment. Let’s be real: I’m burnt out from school. The last three weeks of midterms have fried more of my brain cells than a wild Las Vegas vacation, and if I have to write another rhetorical précis, I might actually explode.  A week to recharge is just what I need to be ready to tackle the rest of this semester. I can’t wait to wake up the morning of Monday, April 1 and immediately go back to sleep until 1 p.m. Even then, I will reawaken and be smitten with the fact that I will have nothing to do, but enjoy my sunny backyard.

Spring break also brings back fond childhood memories. I can smell the morning dew on the glistening green lawn from when I would cross it to go to my next-door neighbor’s house to see if he was up and ready to play catch. I can taste the freshly squeezed lemonade on a hot day, and I can remember being excited for Grandma’s annual Easter egg hunt.

This year, the only way I’m hunting for Easter eggs is if they’re plastic and filled with alcoholic chocolates. I want my first spring break as an Aztec to be great. I won’t be in college forever (hopefully), so I really want to make this spring break count. This doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily be partying the entire time—actually, there’s a realistic chance of that happening. Instead, it hopefully means I’ll be spending time with the friends I cherish most doing things I really want to do, such as taking a little road trip to Santa Monica. I want to be outdoors enjoying the fresh air of spring while it lasts.

Did I mention spring break brings out bikinis? It’s legitimately a toss-up to whether I enjoy the beach more because of the weather or the scenery, and I’m not talking about the waves. Bikini bodies take hard work and dedication on the ladies’ part and should be admired as much as possible. Right, guys? For this reason alone, I’m strongly considering heading to Lake Havasu City, Ariz. It’s a magical place where the harsh heat of the sun is balanced by refreshing, blue water and clothes is an option. Girls will enjoy the amount of hunks that stretch as far as the eye can see. Guys, one word: pasties.

But there’s another part of me that doesn’t want to do any of those things. Gas is expensive, and my ginger skin might disintegrate in the Havasu sun. Part of me wants to do the least possible amount of anything. Part of me wants to check out the new “BioShock: Infinite” and veg out in front of the TV for a week, experiencing one of the most highly anticipated games ever. Part of me wants to go to the movies for the first time in months. Being lazy sounds like a lot of fun, so maybe that’s precisely how I’ll want to spend my next week.

I haven’t thought out any of my spring break yet—could you tell? I stick to what I’m good at and what I’m good at is procrastinating. I hardly know which homework assignment I’ll have to pump out in the morning before class, let alone what I’m going to do with myself during an unstructured week of vacation. However, I do know this: Spontaneity is rad. It sometimes leads to the greatest moments in life and should be embraced during this spring break. Spring and spontaneity go quite well together, actually. Take rabbits for example. Do you think rabbits sit in their little homes drinking tea, discussing when and how they’re going to repopulate at such astounding rates? No, because talking about it doesn’t replenish populations. They put on their custom-made rabbit Nikes and just do it (the shoes provide better traction).

I’m going to borrow the rabbit’s philosophy and just do whatever it is I want this spring break without planning ahead of time. In fact, the only thing I’m planning on is to procrastinate until I feel like being spontaneous. I might go get wild in Havasu. There’s also an equal chance I’ll be soaking in the “scenery” in Santa Monica. Either way, the idea of unknown fun excites me, and it should excite you too. I hate rules because they’re so anti-spontaneous. But if you’re going to follow one, it should be this: Whatever it is you’re doing this spring break, have fun doing it.

Spring spontaneity is in the air