World Beat

Cathedral confrontation leaves one dead, many wounded

One person was killed and 89 were reportedly injured on Sunday in a confrontation between Christians and Muslims at the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in central Cairo, according to BBC News. After a funeral service for four Egyptian Christians killed in a religious altercation days prior, Christians reportedly began to chant anti-government slogans. Church worker Remon Wageh told Reuters he blamed radical Muslims for the violence because they stood behind policemen throwing rocks at the mourners. It’s believed that the Christians elevated the violence, smashing and setting private cars on fire, which prompted the Muslims living in the area to become angry. Firebombs and rocks were reportedly thrown at mourners. Muslim Ahmed Mahmoud told Reuters Christians shot at them with cartridge guns. BBC News reported the man killed was Christian. Police later arrived and fired tear gas into the cathedral compound. State news agency Middle East News Agency said two apartments and a café were set on fire by the firebombs.

Social media news outlet for drug-related violence to shut down after threats 

The Facebook page, “Valor por Tamaulipas” (Courage for Tamaulipas), which contains information about drug-related violence across the northwestern Mexican state of Tamaulipas, will be shut down by its anonymous creator. A paragraph informing of the site’s closure was posted on Sunday afternoon; it ceased to directly cite reasoning for the closure, but assumed the readers were aware of the cause. BBC Mundo reported that last February thousands of fliers appeared throughout the state’s capital offering a $50,000 reward to anyone who could reveal the identity of the site’s creator or of his or her immediate family. The state of Tamaulipas is known as a “zone of silence” where news organizations have stopped covering drug-related violence and social media has become the sole outlet for this type of information.

Topless Tunisian prompts feminist protests after receiving stoning menace

Amina Tyler, a 19-year-old Tunisian activist who identified herself by her first name only, posted a topless photo of herself— with the words “F**k your morals” written on her chest—on the Ukraine-based Facebook page of the feminist group Femen. She has since been threatened with death by stoning. Last Thursday, International Topless Jihad Day had thousands of women across the world protesting outside Tunisian embassies and mosques in support of Amina, according to The Huffington Post; some women protested topless and wore fake beards and towels wrapped around their hair. The stoning threat came in Tunisian newspaper Kapitalis from Almi Adel, head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice. According to The Huffington Post, if Tyler committed the offense in Tunisia, she could be punished with up to two years in prison and fined up to 1,000 dinars. After Thursday’s protest, a group of Muslim women dismissed Femen as being “white colonial feminists,” and launched Muslim Women Against Femen, claiming the feminist group is Islamophobic. The group advised Femen to “take aim at male supremacy, not Islam.”

World Beat