Cancer research to help with coping process

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock.
vitanovski
Photo courtesy of ThinkStock.

A $1.6 million study funded by the National Cancer Institute led by communication professor Wayne Beach will look into how patients, survivors and families cope during their fights against cancer.

San Diego State researchers are currently looking for people to take part in the research study “Managing the Cancer Journey” at 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 16 and 17 at the Scripps Mercy Hospital in Hillcrest. Participants should be cancer patients, survivors, or family members willing to watch videos and explore themes related to cancer. Each person that participates in the study will be given $50.

“This is the first leg of a four-city national study about managing the cancer journey,” Beach said.

Beach said members from SDSU, Emerson College in Boston and the universities of Nebraska and Utah are part of the project. After the first part of the study concludes in San Diego, it will continue in Boston, Lincoln, Neb. and Salt Lake City.

Participants will be asked to fill out questionnaires before and after watching videos, in addition to answering an online survey a month after the study. Members will also be asked to take part in “talkback” sessions to share their thoughts on the videos.

“Our pilot study showed that 75 percent of audience members said it was inspiring and uplifting,” SDSU journalism professor and co-investigator in the study David Dozier said. “As a cancer survivor myself, I find the videos engaging. But people should consider whether they want to explore such cancer issues before they register.”

The study will delve into the deeper issues involving cancer such as fear, uncertainty and hopelessness.  It also looks into how families interact during a patient’s cancer diagnosis and treatment.

“We plan to use their feedback to improve our program with the overall goal of creating a program for cancer patients, survivors, and family members that incorporates multimedia, online curriculum, and links to additional resources,” public health graduate student and project coordinator Kyle Gutzmer said.

Gutzmer also said she hopes the research project informs and empowers patients, survivors and their families to make positive changes and improve their own cancer journeys.

“My work has been influenced by cancer diagnoses among close family members and friends, and includes studies of communication in cancer clinics (between patients and providers) and within families managing cancer journeys,” Beach said.

Beach hopes that by informing and helping others understand the way cancer affects individuals and families his research will “help others better cope with illness effectively.”