Health dominates student video series

It’s not always easy to fully realize one’s dream, starting from scratch and turning it into a reality. It can be a tricky recipe that calls for determination, perseverance and a dash of technical know-how. But with the right balance of ingredients, the end result can be immensely successful.

San Diego State foods and nutrition junior Brianna Earley knows this recipe well. In 2011 she launched her very own web series on YouTube, “BeMe by Bree.” These series of short videos focus on maintaining a healthy lifestyle, from fitness and nutrition to building self-confidence. While the show is mainly geared toward a younger audience, Earley’s helpful solutions can easily be applied to any age group.

Earley said that her desire to help others build a healthy lifestyle began in the eighth grade when she would watch shows such as “The Biggest Loser.” Jillian Michaels remains one of her major influences, and Earley strives to follow Michaels’ lead when it comes to personal fitness.

Earley was also inspired by the increasing rates of diabetes and obesity in the U.S.

“I really took it to heart,” she said. “I want to do something to stop it.”

So she began to work on her dream, slowly developing her idea until “BeMe by Bree” became what it is today. Already it has gained a significant following and with the second season underway, it is sure to expand.

Earley, a longtime athlete and fitness enthusiast, chose to focus on three important aspects of healthy living in each of her episodes. She begins with simple workout routines, something that can easily be done at home. She recognizes it’s not always easy to get to a gym, but emphasizes that such limitations are “no excuse for not getting fit.”

Because exercise alone won’t make much of a difference, Earley supplements her videos with wholesome recipes kids can make on their own. Ranging from simple meals such as oatmeal with fruit and nuts, light breakfast sandwiches and improvements on the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich can be found on her menus.

Earley rounds off each episode with words of encouragement to help build self-esteem, a unique aspect not usually found in typical wellness programs. She hopes to inspire her viewers to be enthusiastic about creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

“My goal is to really just see kids really try and be active,” Earley said. “I want them to be more healthy and I want them to want to be fit.”

She chose to target young children and adolescents because of her belief in the importance of establishing a healthy lifestyle at an early age. By developing such habits early on, Earley believes kids will be more likely to stick to it and carry it on into their adult lives.

Earley hopes to one day make it big on a major TV network such as Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. She’s already busy expanding her skills to other outlets as well. Currently, she works as a personal trainer and has established her own training program for all ages, “BriFit Bootcamp,” which she hosts each Saturday in Valencia.

Though she began her journey at SDSU as an athletic training major, Earley quickly developed an interest in nutrition. The idea that diet and exercise go hand in hand stood out as an important factor of life, and is reflected in her web series.

“I definitely think being at San Diego (State) has made me want to push this even more, especially within my major,” Earley said.

Her advice for incoming freshmen to SDSU? Start now. She encourages students to make fitness a part of their daily routine, and scheduling time in their busy day to hit the gym will result in major personal wins.

“There’s so many classes that the Aztec Recreation Center offers that are amazing,” Earley said. “I really encourage people to take advantage of those classes and just to stay active from the start. Don’t wait until later… you want to develop that habit right away.”

Earley’s advice is sure to help stave off the dreaded “freshman 15” and encourage other beneficial habits as well. It’s no secret that physical fitness can help reduce stress, and that’s something every student can use in the face of a tough semester.

With all of the time and dedication put into developing “BeMe by Bree,” Earley is on her way to a great career as a health expert. Though production and networking require no small amount of patience and dedication (Earley and her crew manage everything themselves) she is up to the challenge.

“As you can see, I keep pushing, and I will overcome,” Earley said.

Health dominates student video series