Associated Students at SDSU: How to get involved

Photo by Wesley Beights
Photo by Wesley Beights

With approximately 1,200 students involved, San Diego State Associated Students is one of the largest student governance organizations within the California State University system.

As an organization and nonprofit corporation, A.S. offers a multitude of opportunities for students to participate in its on-campus government.

Four groups comprise the student governing body: the A.S. Board of Directors, and three A.S. councils, the University Council, Campus Life Council and Judicial Affairs Council.

The A.S. Board of Directors includes the president, executive vice president, vice president of external relations, vice president of financial affairs, and vice president of university affairs. The ASCLC includes two student-at-large campus representatives and seven for commission representatives. The ASUC’s members represent each college with one seat provided for every 1,500 students.

[quote]We truly want more students to get involved…come talk to any of the executive officers, we all have an open-door policy and would love to help students find their niche in A.S.[/quote]

Many seats in the Board of Directors, University Council and Campus Life Council are decided through an election process within the student body. Elections for the upcoming year will take place during the spring semester.

In order to run for office, each candidate should submit basic information to be published in The Aztec and on the campaign polling website, as well as attend a meeting detailing the rules and regulations for campaigning.

Marketing junior and Community Service Board representative Jacqueline Karczewski highly recommends the election process.

Photo by Wesley Beights
Photo by Wesley Beights

“The past two years, I have gone through the election process and although it takes a lot of time and effort, it is a lot of fun. It was also a great learning experience,” Karczewski said.

For first-time freshman, Karczewski suggests getting involved through A.S.’s Freshman Leadership Experience team.

“What really got me involved (in student government) was Associated Students’ FLEX Team,” Karczewski said. “It is a team especially designed for freshman to learn about Associated Students. We helped out with different projects, while shadowing the executive members of Associated Students. I made a lot of great friends in FLEX as well.”

Another way to get involved in A.S. is to fill out an application, which is a series of short essay questions. Applicants must also go through an interview process. Most board or committee positions that fall under the four governing bodies of A.S. are appointed through the application process.

Vice President of External Relations Javier Gomez said the easiest way to get involved in A.S. is applying for a board or committee position. Gomez applied and was accepted to the Awards Committee during his freshman year.

[quote]

A.S. gives students the opportunity to do things they wouldn’t think they would get to do in college.

[/quote]

Besides student government, A.S. provides many amenities to students, faculty, staff and the SDSU community. The Aztec Recreation Center, Viejas Arena, the Aztec Aquaplex, the Mission Bay Aquatic Center, the new Aztec Student Union, the SDSU Children’s Center, and Scripps Cottage are all owned and operated through the A.S. corporation.

In addition to managing these facilities, A.S. is in charge of GreenFest, a week-long celebration with events designed to promote sustainability. It’s also a co-sponsor of Aztec Nights and homecoming.

“A.S. gives students the opportunity to do things they wouldn’t think they would get to do in college,”  Gomez said. “My most memorable experience has been winning my campaign…everything I had worked for in those four years, everything I had put so much time and effort into became something I had always wanted.”

Gomez recommends A.S. to any student interested in getting involved in school and student government.

“We truly want more students to get involved…come talk to any of the executive officers, we all have an open-door policy and would love to help students find their niche in A.S. There are so many ways to be a part of A.S,” Gomez said.

Camille Lozano, Assistant News Editor
Camille Lozano is the Assistant News Editor for The Daily Aztec. She started as a news writer in the summer of 2013. Camille will graduate with a B.A. in journalism in May 2015 and aspires to become an investigative and education reporter.