Faculty reacts to Tomasini’s sentence for SDSU faculty member murder

Members of the community attended Shojais memorial in October of last year.

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor
Members of the community attended Shojai’s memorial in October of last year. Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Paul Tomasini, 65, who fatally beat San Diego State’s Director of Student Disability Services Mary Shojai, 66, last October, was sentenced on Monday to 16 years to life in prison. Shojai was struck 17 times with three objects, including a wooden mallet and two candlesticks. She died from blunt force trauma to the head.

Tomasini and Shojai were romantically involved and the murder occurred after she ended the relationship.

SDSU Student Disability Services Administration Assistant Tracy Tanga negatively responded to the ruling.

“I think it’s horrible; we’re just disgusted by the fact he only received 16 years,” Tanga said. “There wasn’t a dry eye in the place. Everyone was disgusted with the system.”

Last July, Tomasini pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of Shojai. An SDSU faculty member for more than 37 years, Shojai was just three months away from retiring, according to the U-T  San Diego.

“We’re very disappointed with the justice system by the small amount of time he was given,” Student Disability Services Interpreter Captioning Coordinator Patricia Griffith said. Griffith also said she doesn’t believe the attack was on impulse.

Shojai’s son, siblings and their spouses, several members of Student Disability Services and a student attended Monday’s sentencing.

Read more about Mary Shojai.