For your info, campus now has froyo

By Kevin Serrano
By Kevin Serrano

Anyone who frequents College Avenue or uses the pedestrian bridge between the new Aztec Student Union and the residence halls is bound to notice that the small area between Bangkok Poco and La Casita is stirring with activity.  Finally all of those unquenchable frozen yogurt cravings will disturb students no more—Frozen Yogurt International is now open and ready for business.

“We’ve been looking for four years, and we found this location approximately a year ago,” FYI owner Kenneth said. “It took us probably six or eight months to get it built up.  We went through a whole lot, but we got it done.”

FYI’s menu offers a variety of healthy options that appeal to students. With more than 80 yogurt flavors in rotation at 33 cents per ounce and 100 types of toppings that are constantly changing, the possibilities are nearly endless.  In addition to the options of organic, non-dairy, kosher and vegan yogurt, the shop sells energy bars, panini sandwiches, smoothies, cold pressed juices, coffee beverages, greek yogurt, acai, and pataya (whipped dragon fruit) bowls as well.  The atmosphere of the shop projects a vibrant energy, with extravagant topping dispenser machines set up at the center, the newest music booming from their sound system, and a theme of bright, sky blue accents throughout the store.

By Kevin Serrano

Originating from Windansea Beach in La Jolla, Kenneth currently lives in Little Italy with his beloved Doberman.  He worked as a general contractor for 25 years until he retired in 2003.  When he moved to Little Italy in 2010, he started working in private equity and looked for an investment with a concept like the one FYI presents.  After years of developing the model and searching for a location, Kenneth and his associates found the perfect place right here, near San Diego State.  This FYI location is the first of its kind.

“We want to start a chain—we’re setting up more stores in the next few years,” Kenneth said. “This is the flagship store, so we want to make sure it’s done exactly right, and this is a perfect test market.”

With a demographic mainly consisting of students striving for a healthy lifestyle, especially freshmen struggling to avoid the “freshman 15,” it appeals to consumers with many zero carb, zero sugar and artificial-ingredient-free products.

“Fit. Healthy. Fun” is the company’s slogan, according to the official FYI website.  With the menu and the store’s 18-hour business day, the possibility of success is promising.

By Kevin Serrano

Another unique aspect of the store is its dedication to customers.  FYI seeks to satisfy potential customers that might usually be discouraged from enjoying the product because of lactose intolerance or dietary restrictions or lifestyle.  The company is intent upon listening to any suggestions made by patrons in order to improve the quality of the customer experience. If a suggestion is viable and accepted by the store, it will actually be implemented.

Though a good portion of its employees are already in place, FYI always accepts applications.  It is currently looking for potential workers to fill morning shifts who have had yogurt experience in the past.

FYI is looking to the future with eagerness and optimism.  It hopes to eventually become an option on the student meal plan in order to build a closer relationship with students. The new shop has its doors open to the world and the students of SDSU, whether it’s for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack in between.

All photos by Kevin Serrano, staff photographer.

Olivia Litsey, Arts & Lifestyle Editor
Olivia Litsey is a sophomore at SDSU and an economics pre-major with an honors minor in interdisciplinary studies.  She started writing for The Daily Aztec in 2013 and is currently assistant features editor for the features section.
For your info, campus now has froyo