SDSU Honors 2013 Hall of Fame Class

SDSU Honors 2013 Hall of Fame Class

On Friday, Nov. 1,  San Diego State will honor five alumni athletes into the Aztec Hall of Fame. Men’s basketball player Brandon Heath, women’s basketball player Michelle Suman, football player Don Warren, track and field coach Choc Sportsman and sailing athlete Mark Reynolds will be the newest alumni to be admitted.

Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, which are typically held this time every year at SDSU, are a time to acknowledge the greatest athletes who have graced the SDSU campus and honor their achievements during their time spent competing as an Aztec. According to Associate Athletic Director Steve Schnall, the ceremony and the honor the athletes receive is a tremendous accolade to each individual.

“The event is meaningful to the inductees who poured their heart and soul in an athletic and academic career at SDSU, and in some ways it culminates for them by being inducted into the Hall of Fame,” Schnall said.

The induction ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. at the Fowler Athletics Center located next to Peterson Gym. The induction ceremony process was previously put on a 2-year hold while the center was under construction and is now the permanent home of SDSU’s Hall of Fame.

“The induction ceremony on Friday, Nov. 1 is by invitation only. Only former inductees get invited along with whomever the new inductees invite to come. Typically the ceremonies range from 150 to 200 people and usually fills up the entire auditorium,” Schnall said.

All five inductees will be honored the following day at the football game against the University of New Mexico. Schnall said, each inductee will be featured during timeouts throughout the game in a video montage of their athletic achievements.

The five recipients all achieved remarkable success during their time as an Aztec. Heath, who graduated in 2007, graduated as SDSU’s all-time leader in scoring with 2,189 points.

Suman graduated in 1995 and left as the all-time leader in consecutive starts with 118 games in a row.

Reynolds, a former sailing athlete at SDSU, went on to achieve additional success in his sport and won a gold medal in the 2000 Olympic Games.

Warren went onto win three Super Bowl championships with the Washington Redskins.

Sportsman, who coached at SDSU for 20 years, enjoyed success winning various Division II titles during his career. He passed away in 1994, and will be represented by his son Chuck at the award ceremony, who will accept the honor on his father’s behalf.

“It brings great pride and appreciation that my father is being awarded induction into the Aztec Hall of Fame. Though he cannot be present to receive and celebrate this tremendous honor, he will certainly be with us in spirit,” Chuck Sportsman said. “This honor represents the final chapter in his coaching career in track and field and also cross country. He took great pride in mentoring young athletes to excel and become true champions in sports and in life.”

Being inducted in the school’s Hall of Fame is meaningful to current SDSU athletes as well, freshman redshirt linebacker D.J. Hunter said.

“SDSU has plenty of talented athletes that are playing now and that have played here in the past. Being named one of the top athletes is an honor of all honors,” Hunter said. “When I see a former player get inducted into the Hall of Fame here at SDSU, I know they were the real deal. It’s a big deal.”

Students are encouraged to attend the Nov. 2football game against the Lobos to show support and honor this year’s recipients.

Photo courtesy of SDSU Athletics Media Relations.

SDSU Honors 2013 Hall of Fame Class