Rematch for Aztecs yield different scores, but same outcomes

Photo by Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

Two weeks ago, the Aztecs took on an undefeated No. 3 University of Washington and suffered a second-half defeat, but turned it around quickly when they pulled off a late victory against the Oregon State Beavers.

This past weekend turned out to be no different as the San Diego State men’s soccer team faced off against the same two squads and lost 2-0 to the Huskies and defeated Oregon State 2-0.

This time around, the Aztecs were shut out by Washington, and the game against the Huskies went completely different than the first time these two teams met—throughout the entire first half neither team managed to score a single goal.

However, Washington took the lead immediately after intermission, and junior forward Darwin Jones drove the stake through the heart of the Aztec squad with the second and final goal for the Huskies in the 72nd minute of the game.

Despite the crushing loss against Washinton, SDSU looked to finish the sweep against Oregon State and give head coach Lev Kirshner his 100th career victory.

Led by senior midfielder Morgan Sacco, the Aztecs got off to a great start, scoring in the third minute off a shot from 15 yards out that sailed into the upper left corner of the net, setting the tone for what was to come.

The second-half was no different when Sacco sent a pass into the box for senior forward Jordan Ongaro, who quickly spun and fired right by the opposing goalie and into the right corner of the net, sealing the deal on Kirshner’s milestone victory.

Tomorrow, SDSU will play against No.1 University of California, Berkeley at 3 p.m. at Berkeley, and two days later on Sunday against Stanford University at 1 p.m. in Palo Alto.