Weekend Picks: Concert, art and a music show

Lefevre Sylvain

91X’s Wrex the Halls

Radio station 91X is putting on its annual holiday festival “Wrex the Halls.” A staple of rock ‘n’ roll performances, the lineup does not disappoint. This year’s “Wrex the Halls” has some of the biggest performers in rock music today. Headlining the show are Queens of the Stone Age, Vampire Weekend, Cage the Elephant and Arctic Monkeys, along with supporting acts Alt-J, The Silent Comedy and J Roddy Walston & the Business. Each of the headliners have a new album this year, so this will be the perfect chance to hear some of their new songs along with the classic hits. Tickets for the event are sold out online, but 91X is doing daily giveaways on the radio for tickets. Tune in to 91.1FM to win a chance to see the show.

Ryo’s Picks

5&A Dime’s Warehouse Takeover

San Diego streetwear franchise 5&A Dime is hosting an art and music show on Dec. 7 on Main Street near Barrio Logan. The lineup consists of local San Diego acts, including affiliated rappers of the franchise, rappers from the Acid Jive crew and DJs and producers of the collective Travelers Club. One of the hip-hop performers to watch is Deaf Steady Rock, a rapper who skillfully embodying the stylish spirit of the new West Coast. For the dance music fans, LuisTravels of the Travelers Club spins an eclectic mix of house and hip-hop, featured on his solid 20 minute SoundCloud mix for 5&A Dime. There are many more homegrown acts worth seeing this Saturday night for only $5 at the Warehouse Takeover. Support your locals.

Also read: Weekend Picks: Indie Artist and a Closing Reception

Photo courtesy of Lefevre Sylvain/Asa-Pictures/AbacaPress/MCT 

Ryo Miyauchi
Ryo Miyauchi, Asst. Arts & Lifestyle Editor