Applications open for A.S. positions

Photo courtesy of A.S.
Photo courtesy of A.S.

San Diego State’s Associated Students is currently accepting applications for the upcoming academic year’s student government positions.

Applications can be obtained in the A.S. office on the third floor of the Aztec Student Union with a valid RedID. Completed applications must be returned to the office by 4 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 13. A refundable $100 deposit is due along with all application.

Economics senior and A.S. elections committee member Tyler French said the deposit is used cover the cost of labor for campus staff if students don’t remove their campaign materials after the elections, but is refunded as long as students take their materials down.

In order to be eligible for election or appointment, prospective undergraduate applicants must be matriculated SDSU students who have attended for at least one semester prior to appointment or election, according to A.S. requirements. Additionally, undergraduate applicants must have completed a minimum of six units the previous semester.

SDSU graduate students who earned a degree or certificate within the last three years must have been enrolled in at least 12 units in their last undergraduate year to be eligible.

French said positions within A.S. allow students to connect with the university and make an impact on the student body. He said a strong set of leadership skills is vital for candidates’ success.

“The candidates need to be outgoing, driven, and welcoming individuals,” French said. “We have a very diverse campus, and we need leaders who can continue to welcome students from all walks of life and make sure their voice is heard.

Political science senior and A.S. Vice President of External Relations Javier Gomez said his campaign and term in office have given him a chance to engage with students and gain valuable experience.

“If you want to do it, don’t be afraid to run,” Gomez said. “Whether you win or lose, it’s an amazing experience and a lot of fun. Through the process, you learn a lot about the students, SDSU and the intricacies of our campus community.”

Available elected positions on the A.S. Board of Directors include president, executive vice president, vice president of external relations, vice president of financial affairs and vice president of university affairs, according to A.S. bylaws. Other elected positions include seats on the Campus Life Council and University Council.

Available appointed positions include student-at-large seats on the A.S. Board of Directors as well as seats on Campus Life Council and Judicial Affairs Council.

The A.S. Elections Committee, which oversees and administers the electoral processes, is comprised of an elections coordinator, two A.S. Council members and seven student-at-large members.

Information sessions about the elections will be hosted at 3 p.m. on Feb. 3 and 9 a.m. on Feb. 4 in the Student Union Legacy Suite.

General elections will be held March 17-20 and votes can be submitted through WebPortal.

Photo courtesy of A.S. 

Applications open for A.S. positions