A.S. members express doubts about fee process

Some uncertainty arose among various members of the Associated Students Board of Directors as they discussed the recent open forums for the proposed Student Success Fee during their meeting this past Monday.

Board of Directors student-at-large member Washington Navarrete voiced his discomfort with the way the forums were managed. Navarrete said he spoke with several students who were disappointed with the overall facilitation of the forums, questioning the objectivity of the Campus Fee Advisory Committee.

Josh Garman, another Board of Directors student-at-large member, told the board these forums might not seem to be as objective as CFAC had hoped. From the perspective of the student, the fee is going to happen regardless of what they want, because both the Campus Fee Advisory Board and the university are in favor of it, Garman said.

The students he spoke with who did not attend forums said they didn’t go because they felt there was no point, Garman said.

A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs and CFAC member Mariah Kelly said she was saddened to know that students felt the fee would happen no matter what.

“As someone who needs to make a decision off of the feedback, I am disappointed that that’s what they felt,” Kelly said. “Because the reality of it is that it may very well not happen.”

The feedback is important to the committee, A.S. President and CFAC Chair Josh Morse said. In the future if this process were to happen again, it’s good information for them to know, he added.

“All this information is getting to the next generation of students to make sure that, if we had an issue with the process now, they can either adapt to make changes or at least get feedback, so we appreciate that,” Morse said.