City Story

A $26 million project two years in the making is experiencingdelays again.

The new science laboratory building on the corner of Canyon CrestDrive and College Avenue was originally scheduled to be completedthis fall, but is now slated for an Aug. 18, 2000 completion date.

“Right now as we speak, we do not have a mechanical subcontractoron the job,” said project manager Mick Kubota.

The mechanical subcontractor, First Mechanical, was responsiblefor doing all of the mechanical work such as the heating, airconditioning and ventilation of the building, he said. But theservices of that company have been terminated by the generalcontractor, Blake Construction Co., because of non-performance, hesaid.

“They are not providing the manpower and the production that isexpected of a contractor,” he said.

The company was not able to complete the contractual obligation,therefore Blake is addressing the problem to mitigate it, he said.

“As of now, the project can definitely continue without (themechanical subcontractor),” Kubota said. “Everything else is goingfine.”

Tony Fulton, director of facilities planning and management atSDSU, said no new mechanical subcontractor has taken over as of yet.

Kubota said precautions are being taken to make sure wet winterweather does not delay the project further.

“As we approach the winter season, the contractors are currentlydoing everything they can to button up the building to make itweather-tight to be able to work around the winter weather,” he said.

When finished, the state-of-the-art lab will be equipped withcomputers, classroom instructional materials, science devices andfume hoods, totaling over $4.9 million, Fulton said.

Construction on the project began in Nov. 1997.

City Story