Nouveau riche cheesecakes

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

From a humble storefront on Adams Avenue in the heart of Normal Heights comes The Incredible Cheesecake Company, a master of the art of one of the simplest forms of joy — dessert.

There is something delightfully delicious about strolling into this inconspicuous shop solely to enjoy the perfection of a carefully crafted slice of its decadent cheesecake. It might be topped with thick, white-chocolate ribbon shavings, sprinkled with chocolate chips or oozing with a fudge center, but no matter the dreamy concoction, it is sure to leave customers in a blissful state of dessert heaven.

Customers are welcomed by a comfortable yet minimal decór as the focus is all on the large glass case enshrining several unique, tempting cheesecakes adorned with vibrant toppings and fillings. These indulgent creations can be enjoyed by purchasing a whole cake or savoring every bite of a single slice.

“We have customers that come every day just to get a slice,” manager Yolanda Hernandez said.

Although the original plain cheesecake remains a dependable favorite, there are unique variations with a playful mix of flavors that are a delectable twist on the conventional grade.

The most popular is the white chocolate raspberry cake, a classic cheesecake swirled and flecked with real raspberries, mounded with sweet white chocolate shavings and supported by a thick layer of flaky chocolate graham crackers. Another unconventional favorite is the red velvet cheesecake. A thick strip of original cheesecake is sandwiched between two, moist stripes of red velvet cake and a topping of creamy cheesecake frosting swirls.

Additional extravagant flavors can be ordered from an extensive list of choices in advance, but the shop’s standard specialty flavors are rotated. Customers can stroll in any day and expect to choose from an assortment of crowd-pleasing flavors such as cookies ’n’ cream, Reese’s peanut butter cup, fudge brownie, naughty hula, carrot cake and strawberries and cream.

Serving and baking these heavenly cheesecakes for 30 years has garnered The Incredible Cheesecake Company the established clients of Whole Foods, Heaven Sent Desserts, Sunshine Market, Barons Market, numerous local coffee shops, restaurants and of course their faithful, grateful customers. Custom flavors with personalized messages or designs can also be ordered for special occasions, but there is no reason not to stop in and sample a slice for $3.50.

“All I know is we never get any complaints,” Hernandez said when describing what makes the cheesecake so addictive.

The Incredible Cheesecake Company
3161 Adams Ave.
San Diego, 92116
619.563.9772
theincrediblecheesecakecompany.com

Nouveau riche cheesecakes