Tasty Tuesday: Sausage and Meat is both savory and sweet

At Sausage & Meat in University Heights, carnivores are king.

Some students may be familiar with Slater’s 50/50, the innovative burger spot that found success serving up burger patties made with beef and pork. Scott Slater, the SDSU alumnus who introduced San Diego to multi-meat burgers, expanded on the meat-focused concept with Sausage & Meat.

The mod indoor-outdoor hotspot detailed with rustic accents solely focuses on creative ways for customers to feed on gourmet meats. In addition to creative twists, the menu offers straightforward selections such as bacon and sausage — however, the flavors are anything but simple.

Bacon is served as both savory and sweet with tastes such as honey Sriracha that entice taste buds with sugary honey and builds to a spicy kick. For a milder choice, the garlic rosemary parmesan enriches classic bacon flavors rather than overpowering the taste. On the sweet side, brown sugar bacon answers the most demanding of salty and sweet cravings.

Sausage gourmands, look no further than the ridiculously juicy bison chipotle sausage. While bison is an adventurous option, the truly daring can choose from elk and alligator offerings as well. This portion of the menu does allow exploration of the palate, but it also appeals to traditional preferences with chicken, fennel, lamb and veggie sausage alternatives.

While the meat is primed to stand alone, Sausage & Meat also features meals made with a little more. Crowd pleasers include bacon fat deviled eggs comprised of the praiseworthy honey Sriracha bacon, smoked paprika and the right amount of wasabi aioli. Foie gras fans will rejoice at the liver-based plate embellished with pickled peach and pickled jalapeno. For a lean option with subtle gamey zest, order the venison meatballs served with housemade marinara and ricotta cheese.

Where there’s bacon, there’s brunch. Sausage & Meat welcomes diners on weekends with its brunch menu. Try the bison sausage breakfast benedict or the breakfast sandwich and tots with Sausage & Meat’s famous sausage or bacon.

Like any respectable hipster-esque establishment, Sausage & Meat takes its bar scene seriously. Patrons 21 and up can enjoy craft cocktails and classic libations.

From the savory and salty section, try So Fuego Right Now with corralejo blanco, fresh strawberry, horseradish, cilantro and lime or keep the meaty theme alive with the Swine Bar Old Fashioned. The Porky Old Fashioned consists of Fee Brothers whiskey barrel-aged bitters infused with bacon buffalo trace bourbon and bacon maple syrup.

From the smoky and spicy selection, indulge in the Campfire Lemonade made with Monkey Shoulder scotch, smoked brown sugar, cinnamon and, of course, lemon juice.

Bacon is the pride and joy of Sausage &Meat, so it’s no surprise drinks during the Bacon Happy Hour come with a slice of savory bacon and $2 off every drink. #FreeBacon happens from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.