Lack of offense keeps SDSU softball from taking series over Colorado State

Katelyn Mulcahy

San Diego State softball outhit Colorado State, 10-8, in the series finale Saturday afternoon, but left nine runners on base throughout the game as the Aztecs lost, 3-1, dropping the series to the Rams.

The loss pushed SDSU’s record to 22-18 overall and 4-8 in Mountain West play.

In the first inning, senior Samantha Camello led off with an infield single, stole second and moved to third on a groundout by senior Leia Ruiz. Camello was then able to score on a sacrifice fly from sophomore Jenavee Peres. Freshman Molly Sturdivant doubled and juniors Sydnee Cable and Ashley Ercolano followed with a walk and single to load the bases. However, CSU pitcher Holly Reinke was able to get the Rams out of the inning and prevent any further damage.

This was the Aztecs’ one and only run of the game.

CSU took the lead in the third with a two-out rally, and later put up an insurance run in the fourth when sophomore Savannah Clark led off with a homer over the left-field wall, bringing the score to 3-1.

It looked as though SDSU would rally late in the seventh inning to take the win when Camello had a one-out single and, after a flyout, moved to second on a four-pitch walk to Peres. However, the Aztecs were unable to deliver with runners in scoring position, as Sturdivant grounded out to end the game.

“The pitching has been far too inconsistent for my liking,” head coach Kathy Van Wyk said. “It’s hard to know who’s going to show up: the good (junior right-hander) Erica (Romero), or the bad Erica, the good (sophomore right-hander) Alex (Formby), or the bad Alex.”

The team’s defensive lineup looked a little different Saturday. Peres, who is usually behind the plate, was playing left field, while junior Frankie Orlando was behind the dish. After an injury to her knee, Peres has been playing left field in order to keep her bat in the lineup, while also taking pressure off the knee.

“I’m feeling much better, I’m just so glad I can be back and playing and trying to produce for my team instead of just watching from the side,” Peres said. “Left is different, but you got to do what you got to do. Even if I’m not comfortable with it, I need to be comfortable being uncomfortable.”

SDSU will look to get back in the swing of things this weekend at San Jose State, with a three-game set against the Spartans beginning 12 p.m. Friday and ending Sunday.

Sydney Olmstead, Staff Writer
Katelyn Mulcahy, Staff Photographer
Katelyn is a staff photographer on the Daily Aztec. She is a freshman majoring in journalism with an emphasis in media studies.