Preview summer classes on WebPortal

Photo Courtesy of Lily Johnson

The summer class schedule is available now for students to plan their courses ahead of time.

For the first time, the summer class schedule was made available in November, along with the spring class schedule.

Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs Sandra Cook said the goal is to allow students to plan their year ahead, retake classes and graduate in four years or two if they are transfer students.

Cook said the waitlist system allows enrollment services to know which courses are most needed and demanded by students. In the past it was not possible, because students would “crash” classes in person, and there was no way to track who wanted a class.

Last year, there were approximately 16,000 students enrolled for summer classes.

There will be 20 new sections this summer, adding on to the 537 sections available last summer. Likewise, most classes will be available online for students who do not live in the San Diego area or have to work during summer.

Cook also said that in April, the Fall 2017 and spring and summer 2018 class schedules will be available.

In February there will be a campaign aimed to encourage students to take summer classes and inform them about tuition and fees.

Information about the summer schedule is displayed on the SDSU website home page, as well as SDSU Webportal.

It is also required for student to take six units to register for summer classes.

Some students shared if they plan to take summer classes through a survey.

Public relations senior Whitney Whitehill and journalism and public relations junior Jeffrey Chacon said they both plan on taking summer classes for their majors. Whitehill said  she is planning on taking summer classes for her major.

Junior double major in journalism and public relations Jeffrey Chacon, said he is also planning to take summer classes for his major.

Psychology sophomore Jessica Slagle said she was not sure if she would take summer classes.

There are three session options available. The first is a six-week session starting on May 22 to June 30.  The registration time is from April 10 to May 31.

The second option is a thirteen-week summer session starting on May 22 until Aug. 16. Registration starts on April 10 to June 2.

The third summer session starts on July 6 and lasts until August 16. Registration is from April 10 to July 14.

For more information about deadline, visit the Summer 2017 academic calendar.

Preview summer classes on WebPortal