Red Hot Chili Peppers come for ‘One Hot Minute’

Courtesy of Steve Keros

There aren’t too many bands in Southern California that have music as ubiquitous as the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

In fact, you can turn on any alternative radio station in San Diego and you probably will have more than a 50/50 shot at hearing “Under the Bridge” or “By the Way” playing.

The Los Angeles funk rockers have an undeniable popularity that hasn’t seemed to waver over its 30-plus years in the music industry.

The Chili Peppers made its long-awaited stop in San Diego, March 21, at Valley View Casino Center to a sold out crowd.

The show was originally scheduled for a couple weeks prior on March 5, but front man Anthony Kiedis had to cancel due to a case of bronchitis.

Fans at the venue didn’t seem to care much about waiting though. Maybe they thought that all good things come to those who wait? Who knows.

Regardless, everywhere you looked in the arena were people of all ages, from toddlers to 60-something bearded dudes, decked out in what seemed to be an overkill of RHCP gear.

People really, really, love the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

And I can’t lie.

I had (have) an obsession, just like everyone else probably has at some point, with Kiedis circa 1991 when Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out.

Anyone who says that isn’t a great record is just a straight up hater in my book.

The show was off to a good start when the band busted out with an opening jam and flowed into “Can’t Stop.”

I was hyped.

Kiedis was looking good, Flea was slappin’ the bass as usual and I was feeling it.

Chad Smith was on drums and looked like he was having a good time, and even the band’s newest guitarist, Josh Klinghoffer, was holding it down pretty well.

Of course, (just like any other fan might point out) I still miss when John Frusciante was in the band.

RHCP seemed fired up to be back in San Diego.

Flea even thanked the crowd and gave a shout out to a local music venue, the Belly Up Tavern, in Solana Beach for having the band play back in 1983 when it was first getting its start.

The energy from the crowd was pretty intense throughout the show, minus the few children I saw seated and looking down playing on their Nintendo DS’s while their parents threw back some beers singing along to “Californication.” To each his own I guess.

Everything seemed to go by so quickly while Kiedis and Flea bounced around the stage.

For 50-something year olds, Kiedis was still skanking around the stage and Flea was doing handstands across the floor, keeping up with the much younger Klinghoffer.

Unfortunately, the feeling of the show moving quickly wasn’t me just trippin’. A little over an hour into the show, the Chili Peppers were already bidding adieu.

When I looked around me, I saw a bunch of puzzled faces. The guy next to me definitely wasn’t too stoked.

“Oh. Hell. No. I know they’re not already ending,” Jeff Williams, a San Diego resident, said. “This encore better have like nine songs right now, I swear.”

I agreed. But when the band came back out, the encore only had two songs. Kiedis started out with “Goodbye Angels” from RHCP’s latest album called “The Getaway.”

Surprisingly enough, although this North American tour is aptly named after the recent release from summer 2016, the band didn’t entirely focus on its new material during its set.

The good part about the show was that interspersed throughout the set was a collection of songs from earlier albums like “By the Way,” “Californication” and “Mother’s Milk.”

My ultimate disappointment, though, came from what I believe was a huge disservice to all women in the audience.

I came to the show praying that I would hear Kiedis sing “Sir Psycho Sexy” or “Suck My Kiss” off of Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Nothing of the such happened. In fact, I had to wait until the very end of the band’s encore to hear one song (“Give it Away”) off of what could be considered one of RHCP’s best albums.

For a band with such a large musical repertoire, the Chili Peppers definitely could’ve played a little longer than an hour and a half.

The performance was still on point, but fans after the show could be heard voicing their collective disappointment about the length of the set.

Nevertheless, there’s no doubt that people of all ages will keep on loving the Red Hot Chili Peppers for years to come as the band continues to reinvent itself.

“We love you and we are lucky to have you all day long,” Kiedis said to his San Diegan fans as he ended the show.

The band will be back in town for Del Mar’s annual KAABOO music festival in September.

Lilly Glenister
Lilly Glenister, Managing Editor
Lilly Glenister is a senior at SDSU and is double majoring in journalism and political science. She started writing for The Daily Aztec in fall 2014 and is currently the managing editor. Previously, Lilly was the assistant editor for the Arts and Culture section.