SDSU sees rise in grant money

Weiching Han

San Diego state faculty members received a significant amount of grant funding for research work during the 2016-17 academic year.

Professors from different departments across campus won a combined $134.3 million in research grants last year, up from $130 million in 2015-16. The money received is used for funding student and faculty research projects and university needs. This increase in grant money is a step in the direction of SDSU’s goal of becoming a top-50 public research university, according to a statement from the university.

“Regardless of numerical ranking, being recognized as a top research institution would make SDSU more competitive, allowing the university to hire additional top-tier faculty members” said SDSU’s media relations officer Katie White. This also allows SDSU to do better research and receive even more funding she added.

Some of the grants received include epidemiologist Melbourne Hovell’s investigation of the sources of in-home air pollution. According to White, Hovell received SDSU’s Outstanding Faculty Award in 2014 and is one of the leading scientists in pollution research.

Among the grant donors are the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency, the California Department of Health Services and the Department of Defense, the university statement read.

“Not only is the personal drive of our faculty demonstrated by these efforts, but their success also reflects the respect of their peers, who serve on the review panels recommending their proposals for awards” said Stephen Welter, SDSU’s vice president for research and dean of Graduate Affairs.

Faculty and staff are eligible for recognition through their departments and at the university wide awards known as the Faculty Monty awards.

David Santillan
David Santillan, Assistant News Editor
  David is a senior at San Diego State where he is majoring in French. David has been working at The Daily Aztec since 2017 and is the current Assistant News Editor. He is a transfer student from Palomar College, where he worked as an arts & culture writer for The Telescope, Palomar's on-campus newspaper.
SDSU sees rise in grant money