Obituary: Jasmine Madarang, 1997-2017

A 2016 photo from Jasmine Madarang’s Facebook profile.

San Diego State student Jasmine Madarang passed away Saturday, Sept. 16.

Madarang, 20, was a mechanical engineering junior. Born on July 22, 1997, she was from Lake Forest, California, and graduated from El Toro High School. She was a member of the Delta Zeta sorority at SDSU during her freshman and sophomore years.

Madarang was known for her loving and cheerful personality. Liberal studies junior Haley Malenchimi said she met her through Delta Zeta, and described her as very welcoming and optimistic.

“She is such a big personality and that is why it is such a hard loss and such a big loss for so many people,” Malenchimi said. “She had such a big impact on everyone’s college experience. She was always a great friend, she was always there to listen, she never judged you. She used to crawl into my bed at 8 a.m. freshman year to tell me her stories of the night before.”

Kinesiology junior Janie Giannone said Madarang was always there for her, and always had answers to her problems.

“She played a very big role in my first two years at school,” Giannone said. “She helped me adjust to college as well, because with someone with such a big personality like that, it is hard to ever be homesick or sad.”

Madarang touched a lot of hearts and helped many girls through difficult times of adjusting and meeting new people.

Undeclared sophomore Christine Eidt said she met her when she joined Delta Zeta.

Madarang was influential in getting her and other girls more involved in the sorority, Eidt said.

“When I think of all the memories, it is hard to think of one,” Eidt said. “Her voice was like a ray of sunshine. Every time I heard it, I would perk up and so would everyone else. It was so distinctive and I just keep on hearing it and I look back on videos and I see her with her voice.”

Child development junior Megan Campbell said Madarang brought a lot out of people.

“Jasmine makes people feel confident,” Campbell said. “She inspires people to feel good about themselves because she was always positive and she always loved herself. She helped shape a lot of people, she helped shape me and I am really thankful for that. She made me more outgoing. She made me more self-confident.”

Madarang’s services were held Sept. 22 at O’Connor Mortuary in Laguna Hills, California.

Amal Younis
Amal Younis, Multimedia Editor
Amal Younis is an SDSU journalism senior and the multimedia editor for The Daily Aztec. She is Egyptian, born and raised, and moved to the United States as an international student to attend SDSU. She started her journalism journey in Fall 2017 and has since written for news, taken photos, produced and created videos. Her passion for broadcast journalism will hopefully translate to any country she moves to after graduation. Follow her twitter @amalhyounis
Obituary: Jasmine Madarang, 1997-2017