The birth control pill has consequences

MCT Campus

Every woman’s nightmare: bloating, irregular periods, weight issues, loss of scalp hair, loss of libido, depression and the list continues. I’m sure every woman reading this recognizes what causes these symptoms: the pill.

Sixty-two percent of American women ages of 15 to 44 are currently on the birth control pill. However, many women have misconceptions about the side effects the pill causes.

Although there are many birth control methods women can utilize, the pill proves to be one of the most effective. The pill is so successful that less than one out of 100 women becomes pregnant when using the pill correctly.

Women should be aware there are two types of birth control pills: the combination pill and the progestin-only pill. The combination pill creates synthetic female hormones of estrogen and progestin to suppress a woman’s pituitary gland. By suppressing the pituitary gland, the development and release of an egg into the ovary is prevented, while also changing the lining of the uterus to prevent sperm from entering. The progestin-only pill, also known as the “mini-pill,” is 98 percent effective and suppresses a woman’s ovulation and helps prevent a male’s sperm from meeting with an egg.

Although the pill is highly effective, many women do not take it correctly. The pill is supposed to be taken at the same time every day, because if it is not, the chances of conceiving are increased. A tip from many physicians is to set an alarm to make sure no dose is missed. For women who do not eat breakfast, it is recommended to take the pill after dinner to avoid nausea.

A normal 28-day cycle begins with 21 “active” pills and seven “reminder” pills. The active pills contain hormones and the extra seven pills are sugar pills without hormones. A woman’s period should come at the end of the pack, sometime during the last seven days. Although some doctors tell their patients the pill is effective seven days after they begin using it, many doctors recommend waiting at least a month before having sex to be safe. During the first month of starting the pill, women should use a backup contraceptive method. Using a condom while on the pill is always important, because it decreases the chances of receiving sexually transmitted diseases and other infections.

Women on the pill usually run into that one time when they miss taking their pill by an hour or maybe even a day. If late by less than 24 hours, take the pill as soon as it is remembered and take the next pill at the scheduled time.

No backup method is needed but is recommended just to be safe.

If 24 hours late, both pills can be taken at the same time or taken 12 hours apart to prevent nausea. If more than 24 hours late, take the missed pill right away and take the next pill on time, meaning two pills may be taken at the same time. After more than 24 hours of being late, the pill is no longer effective if on the first seven pills of the pack, so a backup contraceptive plan is crucial.

When starting the pill, be sure to know the positive and negative side effects and be sure to receive a thorough explanation from a doctor about how to use the pill.

The birth control pill has consequences