President Adela de la Torre can be an advocate for women and minorities at SDSU

San Diego State has just named Adela de la Torre as the university’s new permanent president.

In addition to being only the ninth person to serve this post, de la Torre is also the first woman — and the first Latino — to hold this prestigious title.

De la Torre has dedicated much of her career to Latino and Chicano health issues.

De la Torre’s position highlights the improvement of a system that has historically kept women out of leadership roles. Surprising considering the fact that women have comprised more than half of all college students since 1979.

This goes against the precedent of presidents in SDSU’s history who have mostly been white and male.

De la Torre will hopefully set SDSU on a new path — one where important issues, such as the mascot controversy, can be handled by someone with the ability to empathize with the pain students experience when an entire university profits off of the misrepresentation and disrespect of a culture.

In addition, with women of color more disproportionately impacted by sexual assault on college campuses, de la Torre, as a woman of color, can contribute to the conversation that will motivate the university to do more to protect its more vulnerable students.

Overall, SDSU’s decision to select a president who represents the university’s growing diversity is the most effective way to address concerns that impact our community.

De la Torre can use her unique experiences as a Latina to help our university become a safe space for everyone.

Kemi Giwa, Opinion Editor
Kemi is a fourth-year public relations major with a minor in political science. Her interests include politics and racial justice.