Best-selling novel is a silver screen smash

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox
Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Set in the Depression era, “Water for Elephants” explores a story of love and adventure aboard the circus train of the Benzini Brothers. From what could have become an over-hyped mess, the movie retains the simple glamour that audiences imagine and the grittiness that was the reality of the times. It also doesn’t hurt that the cast of “Water for Elephants” includes Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon, two of Hollywood’s most beloved (and most pricey) actors.

After the sudden loss of his parents, Jacob Jankowski (Pattinson) abandons his veterinary studies at Cornell University and jumps aboard a train, only to find that in doing so, he’s joined the circus.

The ringmaster, August Rosenbluth (Christoph Waltz), has a quick temper and only decides to keep Jacob for his veterinary services and to care for his newly acquired elephant, Rosie. Assimilating into the circus becomes even more difficult than expected when Jacob falls in love with the ringmaster’s wife, Marlena (Witherspoon) after seeing her starring act. August’s temper evolves into seething rage and violent outbursts when he suspects an affair between Jacob and Marlena.

While viewing “Water for Elephants,” it feels as if every actor, important or not, was meant to live in this time period. With help from picturesque sets, exotic animals and flawless costumes, the actors are bathed in soft, romantic lighting before beautiful backdrops. These majestically rich shots allow audiences to understand why so many childhood dreams involved running away to join the circus. However, “Water for Elephants” isn’t just a stream of pretty pictures, but a gripping storyline lead by great actors.

After winning an Academy Award for “Inglorious Basterds” last year, it’s no surprise Waltz steals the show. His bipolar moods shift from exuberant charm to vicious malice within seconds and his expressions alone convey more than any dialogue.

Pattinson seems to have graduated from his previous work to something more mature and retains a perfect sense of the character from the novel. Unfortunately, the relationship between Pattinson and Witherspoon feels forced with very little passion, though it doesn’t seem to be Pattinson’s fault. Witherspoon doesn’t convey much joy from her character and her acting feels disjointed, especially alongside Waltz’s striking performance. Disregarding her pretty looks, audiences might wonder why exactly these two men are fighting for her.

Despite the romantic hiccup, the story continues to race toward the climactic ending with the speed of a runaway train and has audiences on the edge of their seats.

A film based on an extremely popular bestseller that is cast with Hollywood’s best holds many expectations, but “Water for Elephants” has successfully lived up to the hype.