University police investigating potential arson cases

David Pradel

The San Diego State University Police Department is investigating two fires that took place within an hour of each other on March 14 as potential arson cases.

The department first responded to a fire in the 5500 block of Hardy Avenue at 11 a.m., followed by a second fire at noon at the 5600 block of Hardy Avenue.

“There are definitely some leads, but we can’t confirm that there’s a definitive suspect at this time or anyone that we’ve identified,” said Raquel Herriott, SDSUPD spokeswoman.

No one was injured as a result of either fire. Herriott said the first fire was put out by a university officer and the second fire was put out by a staff member.

The San Diego Fire-Rescue Department responded to both fires and the department’s Metro Arson Strike team was sent to investigate both locations. Detectives within the department on Friday pwere looking into the cause of the fires, following up on leads and reviewing footage from the scene.

“We are working really quickly and we are trying to review camera footage and ask as many questions as possible of potential witnesses,” Herriott said.

Lauren J. Mapp, Senior Staff Writer
Lauren J. Mapp is a journalism senior at San Diego State, a senior staff writer for The Daily Aztec and an investigative reporting intern at inewsource. Exploring locations near and far, Mapp hopes to travel around the world working as an investigative reporter and pursuing a career in food, beverage and travel writing. Mapp was raised in Worcester, Mass. and has lived in San Diego for 13 years.