Student Health Services extends deadline to submit immunization records

Students+exhibiting+any+symptoms+of+mumps+are+encouraged+to+reach+out+to+a+medical+provider.+
Alexa Oslowski
Students exhibiting any symptoms of mumps are encouraged to reach out to a medical provider.

After establishing multiple new vaccination requirements for all incoming students, San Diego State extended the deadline to submit immunization records to the end of the semester.

In May, SDSU announced new immunization requirements would be implemented for all incoming students for the Fall 2019 semester. The original deadline to provide proof of immunization was Sept. 9. Student Health Services extended that date to Dec. 2. 

“By making this adjustment, we believe that we are keeping student success and academic progress the forefront of our work, while continuing to pursue completion of these requirements far ahead of the timeframe required by the Executive Order,” Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Andrea Dooley said.

The university’s new deadline still puts SDSU a year ahead of the date of completion specified in California State University Executive Order 803. 

CSU Executive Order 803 requires incoming students to have the vaccinations for varicella (chickenpox), tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap), meningococcal disease (serogroups A, C, Y, W-135) and tuberculosis screening (TB) completed by Fall 2020.

Although CSU immunization policies have only recommended students receive the MenB vaccine, SDSU has made it a requirement due to the outbreak of meningococcal meningitis that surfaced on campus at the start of last school year. There were three confirmed cases of students who contracted the illness.

These new requirements are not applicable to returning students, as the change in policy affects only new, incoming students to the university, including freshmen, transfer and graduate students, according to Director of Student Health Services Libby Skiles.

Prior to the new requirements, SDSU only required two immunizations — the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and hepatitis B (HepB) vaccines. Now, there are 10 vaccinations to be completed prior to attending. 

Students who fail to show proof of their immunizations by the new deadline will have their accounts put on hold, keeping them from registering for the next semester.

Several students stated they were not aware of the requirements and, therefore, found the deadline extension to be helpful. Kinesiology freshman Enrique Alvarado said he was unaware of which vaccines were needed.

“A lot of people did not know about it until they got here,” Alvarado said. “The school was not really detailed in telling you what you are missing, so you have to find it yourself and that can take a while.”

Biology freshman Lauren O’Hern said she also favored the deadline extension because she ran into difficulties while trying to get vaccinated.

“When I tried to get my vaccinations on campus they could not accept my insurance,” O’Hern said. “I had to figure out somewhere to go and how to get there, just to meet the requirements. You also need multiple parts for some vaccinations so for me, the deadline extension was necessary.”

Although SDSU is only requiring incoming students to get the MenB vaccine, it is still encouraged that all students under the age of 23 receive the two-part vaccination. According to an email sent to all students, last year’s meningitis outbreak is technically ongoing.. 

Students are able to schedule appointments to get the vaccines at Student Health Services by calling (619) 594-4325 or via HealtheConnect, the online health portal. 

Jeanette Giovanniello, Senior Staff Writer
Jeanette Giovanniello is a junior studying journalism at San Diego State. She is from Long Island, New York and aims to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. Jeanette began writing for The Daily Aztec in September 2019. Follow her on Twitter @jeanettegiov.
Alexa Oslowski, Photo Editor
Alexandra Oslowski (she/her) is a 5th-year student studying journalism with a minor in art from Cameron Park, California. She is a transfer student from UC Santa Cruz and in her third year at San Diego State. She has a passion for photography, music, and writing. Alexa hopes to pursue a career in digital journalism or photojournalism. You can follow her on Twitter @AlexaROslowski.