Aztecs fall in closing seconds on game-winning shot by Air Force

Aaron Tolentino
Senior guard Taylor Kalmer goes pass the Air Force defender for a layup. Kalmer has had 19 straight double-digit scoring games – the longest streak by an Aztec in the Mountain West era (since 1999).

San Diego State women’s basketball lost 51-49 to Air Force on Feb. 8 at Viejas Arena.

The Aztecs’ (11-14, 6-7 Mountain West Conference) three-game win streak ended after Falcons sophomore forward Riley Synder made what turned out to be the game-winning basket with five seconds left.

Saturday’s match was also commemorated as National Girls and Women in Sports Day.

Here are three observations from the game.

1. Points in the paint, low three-point scoring highlight SDSU’s afternoon

This game proved to be a defensive battle for the Aztecs. Their offense had to restrategize against the Falcons.

The Aztecs managed to have some success, but most of the scoring came inside the paint.

Twenty-four of SDSU’s 49 points came from the key, 14 of them coming in the first half.

“(Air Force) pressured a lot. They denied us so what any team does we tried to get to the rim,” senior guard Taylor Kalmer said.

Both teams after three quarters combined to go 0-for-17 from downtown. The Aztecs had five attempts themselves.

The game’s first three-pointer came in the fourth quarter, which was made by Aztecs sophomore guard Sophia Ramos with nine minutes left.

It was SDSU’s only three made.

The Falcons hit two 3-pointers of their own but finished 2-of-16 for the game.

2. Aztecs make defensive stops near the glass

The Aztecs were protective near the glass against the Falcons.

By halftime, SDSU had five blocks recorded.

More of the same would continue in the second half, with the Aztecs getting two more additional blocks – for a total of seven blocks for the game.

“We have historically been more of an offensive team than a defensive team, but we definitely showed more of our defensive side tonight,” senior center Zayn Dornstauder said.

Dornstauder had three blocks, along with adding five rebounds and 11 points.

It was one block short of tying the team’s season-high record.

“I think that’s the highlight of tonight’s game,” head coach Stacie Terry-Hutson said. “We’re getting better defensively. In the last couple games we’ve done a good job playing defense as a unit.”

3. Taylor Kalmer keeps her streak alive

Senior guard Taylor Kalmer finished the game with 11 points, which extended her streak of 19 straight games scoring double-digits.

“It’s pretty cool, but to be honest I don’t really care because we lost,” Kalmer said of the streak. “I’m just trying to help my team win in any way I can.”

That is the longest streak by an Aztec in the Mountain West Conference era.

“(Kalmer) is a competitor. She had one of the better defenders on her tonight and was still able to do that,” Terry-Hutson said. “She is going to give you 110% every single night both offensively and defensively.”

The previous streak for the Aztecs was held by Courtney Clements, who scored double-digits for 18 straight games back in the 2012-13 season.

“What makes her special are not only the accolades you gave her offensively, but she tries to defend every single possession,” Terry-Hutson added. “She normally has the best offensive player every single possession, so I’m really impressed she’s able to do fantastic things all while playing 40 minutes and guarding the best player on the opposite team.”

Next for the Aztecs

SDSU is back on the road this coming week as they travel to Albuquerque to play the New Mexico Lady Lobos inside Dreamstyle Arena, famously known as “The Pit.”

Cristian Alvarez
Cristian Alvarez, Staff Writer
Cristian Alvarez is a sixth-year journalism student at SDSU. Currently, Cristian is in his second year at The Daily Aztec. Through his passion for many sports, he has covered a variety of teams but most notably men's soccer, women's lacrosse and women's basketball. A devoted fan of the UFC, Manchester United, San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Chargers and Vegas Golden Knights, Cristian takes pleasure in attending sporting events while getting to unfold the stories in between the lines. Follow him on Twitter for the latest updates @AlvarezTheViper.
Aaron Tolentino
Aaron Tolentino, Sports Editor
Aaron is in his second and final year at SDSU. He is a junior college transfer from the Bay Area. From his previous experience covering junior college football, he has transitioned to the Aztec football beat where he is well plugged into the program – often breaking news first about the team. He has visited different road football stadiums, such as Stanford, Fresno State, San José State and UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Some of his highlights working at The Daily Aztec include covering the Mountain West Championship game in Las Vegas, casually sitting behind the legendary broadcaster Kevin Harlan (no big deal). Follow Aaron on Twitter @atolent2 to get the latest scoop on SDSU sports and one day see him break the news from that same account.