New bar concealed behind secret door

Nestled on a corner of an inconspicuous downtown street, The Neighborhood restaurant has a hidden gem tucked deep inside hoping not to be found.

Cloaked by a hidden door composed of stacked kegs, the secret bar Noble Experiment is unveiled by a welcoming hostess awaiting patrons by first name. The small, 800-square-foot room is embellished with modern décor and dressed with low lighting, highlighting the marble flooring, a Swarovski crystal chandelier and wall fashioned out of gold-leafed monkey skulls. Lining the oddly appropriate and chic skull wall are white leather couches and mirrored cocktail tables where strangers get cozy, sitting hand’s length from each other while being welcomed by the friendly owner.

While this new spot may be expected to be popularized, therefore losing its luster, owners are reluctant to change its exclusive, noncommercial nature. The reservations cap at about 35 people and those interested in getting a taste of the high fashion bar experience must confirm their reservations through texting its direct number. RSVP soon because it’s rumored the owners are flirting with the idea of “members only” admission in the future.

Behind the passions for pure and creative artisan cocktails, The Neighborhood owner Arsalun Tafazoli and co-owner of El Dorado Cocktail Lounge Nate Stanton were inspired by the Prohibition and New York-style speakeasies to shape their own underground bar.

Also known as “The Noble Experiment,” the Prohibition was an era in the 1920s when a constitutional amendment passed prohibiting the sale, transportation and manufacturing of alcohol, sprouting the opening of numerous speakeasies primarily in New York City. Today, the cult following still remains in bars such as Milk & Honey in New York 8212; and now with Noble Experiment.

Head Milk & Honey mixologist Sam Ross has coached the bartenders to master the methodology of making handcrafted, fresh ingredient cocktails. Don’t expect to be served generic, water-diluted cosmopolitans that can be found at most bars in the downtown Gaslamp Quarter.

The list of cocktails is more like a slow-produced piece of artwork that often includes a special touch of unlikely ingredient combinations, such as egg whites and spices. And don’t even get the owners started about the topic of ice 8212; it’s also an art form.

Every day, the owners receive a large block of ice they reserve to hand-cut and shave to fit specially in every drink order. The signature, drinks include names such as “Rolls Royce” and “Leaving Tijuana,” and the list changes every three months. There is also a “Dealer’s Choice” option, where the waitress performs a full taste profile to custom-tailor drinks to customers’ preferences.

The bar is located at 777 G St. and is open Wednesday through Sunday by reservation only.

For a truly unique experience, the Noble Experiment is set apart from the downtown bar clutter and brings a homey flair back to the high-class, hoity-toity bar scene.

New bar concealed behind secret door