LOOKING THROUGH MY LENS: Three songs are enough to become a ‘Radiohead’

I arrived at the Radiohead concert a less-than-zealous fan – the type of fan that has appreciated the ever so beautifully crafted and nostalgic song “Creep,” over the years, but I was only minimally exposed to the full breadth of the band’s talent. Having heard some of Radiohead’s radio play, I left with a newfound respect for its music.

The band delivered an ingeniously and creative musical performance on Wednesday at Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre. After seeing the performance, I understand how it has kept so many devoted fans dedicated to its music. Real fans have been listening since its debut album, “Pablo Honey,” was released in 1993.

Conversely, the opening act – Liars – well, it might remain an opening act for a while.

Liars orchestrated a set that hadn’t decided what genre of rock it wanted to resemble – placing it in the category “confusing.” I found myself being dragged back and forth among the tides of slow, melodic depressing songs and fast, high-energy rock that had no closure.

The best, though, was yet to come.

Radiohead opened up its performance content; celebrating the electronic infused, “15 Step” from its most recent album, “In Rainbows.” “15 Step” consisted of layered effect pedal beats and a casual hint of melody, sounding from lead guitarist, Jonny Greenwood; a unique, yet accomplished musical combination.

Thom Yorke’s vocals sounded equivalent to Radiohead’s studio recordings; the entire ensemble from percussions to lead guitar was very well put together.

Equally as impressive as the spectrum of sound produced by the group was the incredible visual stage spectacle that amused the eye while also complementing the music. Long vertical beams hovered above the stage from rafters, creating a canvas of various light patterns, serving as optical illusions throughout the duration of the performance.

“Airbag,” off of Radiohead’s most recognized album, “OK Computer,” was played second and “There There” was performed third, which sustained the almost 20,000 fans already established enthusiasm for the rest of the night.

The massive audience – aka “radioheads” – insisted that two encores proceed. I was impressed and more than satisfied with the performance and now understand why there are so many Radiohead fans.

For more information on Radiohead tour dates go to: www.radiohead.com or www.livenation.com.

-David J. Olender is a third year Journalism / Communication major.

-This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.