Dating services bring singles up to speed

Thinkstock
    Thinkstock

Many people may think of college as the best four years of their lives. Some may even find their soul mates and future spouses during this time. However, the 21st century’s disconnected dating scene is far removed from the ease of previous generations.

According to The New York Times, in 1950 the median age of first marriages was 23 for men and 20 for women. In 2009, this had increased to an average first-marriage age of 28 for men and 26 for women.

Today, many college students choose to date casually rather than settle down. Some even decide to postpone marriage until after they’ve established their careers. Although these people may enjoy remaining single during their college years, others may find themselves resorting to the single life when facing a lack of eligible candidates to fulfill their relationship needs. In a collegiate party atmosphere synonymous with the social environment of San Diego State, the dating process often becomes a roller coaster of ups, downs, twists and turns.

To some, dating opportunities for college students in San Diego may seem scarce. This may especially be the case for women, many of whom tend to seek older men. While popular nightlife spots such as the Gaslamp Quarter and Pacific Beach are often crawling with attractive singles, it is difficult to create lasting relationships in bar and club settings.

So, where should San Diegans go to meet other singles?

Although there is always the chance of meeting someone through a mutual acquaintance, sparking chemistry with a co-worker or finding virtual love on a plethora of Internet dating sites, appealing options await those who enter the world of speed dating.

A variety of organizations allow San Diego singles to mingle in a fun and safe environment. FastLife International is one example, hosting speed dating events in 17 U.S. cities, as well as in five other countries. As the world’s largest speed dating service, it hosts more than 50 events each month throughout the U.S.

FastLife focuses on classy and stylish events, and enables members to specify the types of events that interest them most. It also offers a recurring event called Speed Dating with Style, which claims a 90 percent match rate and allows singles to date 10 to 12 professionals in the age range of their preference. Each date lasts seven to eight minutes and allows daters to determine if chemistry exists and if they would like to go on a future date.

Membership in FastLife International is free. However, there is a charge for attending events, which includes a free drink.

Date & Dash is another speed dating service that hosts events in San Diego and also claims a 90 percent match rate. If a match is not made, a free second event is offered. There are three levels of membership for Date & Dash: free, mingler and premium. Although tickets must be purchased for each event regardless of membership level, premium members will enjoy less expensive ticket prices and other benefits. Date & Dash also enables singles to create their own event if they do not find an event that interests them.

An overview of the various sites and organizations offering speed dating and singles events can be viewed at amazingsingles.com, if a simple online search does not suffice.

Some advice for singles looking to find Mr. or Mrs. Right, or even just Mr. or Mrs. Right Now: Dress to impress. First impressions are often lasting ones. Be up front about relationship intentions and expectations. Have a basic idea of what is personally desirable when meeting potential matches, but try to keep an open mind about meeting new types of people. Ladies, don’t reveal too much skin on a first date. Gentlemen, be gentlemen.

Speed dating can be a fun, fast-paced way to meet potential love. Don’t be left behind.