Poland sets the pace for Aztecs

Peter Kluch, Senior Staff Photographer
    Peter Kluch, Senior Staff Photographer

San Diego State’s water polo team is off to a fantastic start this season, currently undefeated with a record of 4-0.

This early-season winning streak has no doubt been the result of long, challenging workouts in the pool and contributions from each player.

Along with these important factors, senior utility Meaghan Poland has been dominant so far this season. Poland’s years of experience in the water have been evident during the team’s first four games. The senior has scored 19 goals and also performed well on defense.

SDSU’s winning streak started in Maryland, where the girls went 3-0 in the Terrapin Invitational. Poland caught the eyes of many by scoring the majority of the team’s goals each game. Performing exceptionally well early in the season was particularly important for the team.

“Doing so well after our three wins in Maryland was the confidence-booster we needed as a young team,” Poland said. “It’s always a nice and happy flight home when you have the feeling of going undefeated.”

The expectations she has for herself and the team don’t stop there. Poland expects the Aztecs to make it to the NCAA tournament.

“(The tournament) is going to be at our pool this year, and as a senior there is no way I would want to be watching other teams compete without us participating,” she said.

Aside from goals for her team, Poland also has individual goals for herself.

“I just want to continue growing this season and continue to get stronger in my position,” Poland said. “I want this season to be the best I personally have had at State as well.”

The way the season is going thus far for SDSU, nothing seems impossible at this point.

Poland is especially appreciative of her teammates.

“I am so proud to be playing with this talented group of girls,” she said. “This team is all-around strong. I am really excited to see what this season has in store for us.”

Poland sets the pace for Aztecs