Students prioritize careers and love

Think Stock

The end of another school year is near, which can mean life-changing decisions are at the horizon. These decisions sometimes cause one to relocate to another area, which can impact major aspects of life, including relationships.

When partners are faced with having to relocate, either for work or school, the separation can cause problems and the relationship can become difficult to maintain.

It may be more challenging to communicate or bond with a partner because interaction can often be limited to Skype or telephone conversations. There may also be temptations to get intimately involved with someone else to fill the void.

With these potential consequences of relocating while in a committed relationship, it is common for students to consider the impact of leaving their partner before making the decision to move.

With a 3.89 high school GPA and a score of 1800 on the SAT, Cuyamaca College student Jeff Sinkiewicz decided not to apply to any colleges that would force him to move away from his girlfriend.

“A relationship is teamwork; it is a team thing,” Sinkiewicz said. “It is where you put someone before yourself.”

Although Sinkiewicz and his girlfriend at the time broke up just before his first semester of college, he said he understands why he made his decision.

“When you’re scared and you’re backed into a corner, you go to your partner,” Sinkiewicz said. “How can you throw that comfort away? It’s the comfort factor.”

Some people, such as Sinkiewicz, may value a relationship more than personal experiences, making them more susceptible to pass opportunities in their career or personal life. Others may believe these same opportunities should be embraced, regardless of whether they must sacrifice their relationship.

Grossmont College student Rebecca Ogle made the decision to take advantage of a vacation to Germany that she’s recently been offered. Ogle will be away from her boyfriend all summer.

“Overall, I think that the decision in making plans to travel should not be at all affected by a partner,” Ogle said. “If it’s anything serious or worth continuing, your partner should still be waiting for you when you return.”

Ogle said this probably won’t be her last or longest trip and going away will be a good experience for her and her partner. She believes this trip will test how well their relationship will hold.

Although their perspectives may differ, both Ogle and Sinkiewicz share the belief that every situation is different and a decision can be made based on their personal priorities.

It can be a difficult decision to make and is one that requires thought and consideration.

When students are faced with these decisions after graduation or for various other reasons such as studying abroad, they can question whether their relationship or the opportunity before them is a higher priority.

Students prioritize careers and love