SDSU men’s basketball all-time starting 5

Tony Gwynn, 1978-81

Archive3

After leading a life that revolved around making others happy, it’s no surprise that Tony Gwynn’s name is sprinkled all over the SDSU all-time assist records.

To start, Gwynn is the school’s all-time assist leader at 590 and the most assists in a year with 221 in 1980.

He also holds the school record for most 10-assist games with 16 and is tied for the most assists in a single game with 18.

Brandon Heath, 2004-07

BrandonHeath

Out of all the star power that’s come through during the Steve Fisher era, no player may have had a bigger impact than the school’s all-time scoring leader, Brandon Heath (2,189 points).

Heath was a scorer, plain and simple, notching a school record 112 career double digit scoring efforts and 281 3-pointers.

He also collected the second-most steals in school history with 217.

Kawhi Leonard, 2010-11

Kawhi Leonard

If Kawhi Leonard had stayed all four years before going to the NBA, who knows how many records he would have broken.

His 10 15-rebound performances still stand as second-most in school history and his 40 double-doubles are also second most.

During his final year on the Mesa, he grabbed 380 rebounds, still the most in a season in the school’s Division I history.

Marcus Slaughter, 2004-06

Marcus Slaughter

Marcus Slaughter was a force to be reckoned with during his three years on the Aztecs.

Slaughter has the second-most rebounds (775) and 11th most points (1,211) in the school’s Division I history.

He still holds the Viejas Arena record with 20 rebounds in a game against UNLV back in 2006.

His streak of 28 straight games with double-digit scoring ranks fifth all-time.

Michael Cage, 1981-84

Archive5

Dubbed “Commissioner of the Boards” by The Daily Aztec back in the 1980’s, Michael Cage was just that.

Cage is the all-time leading rebounder with 1,317 and his 11.8 rebounds per game is the best in the school’s Division I history.

He still stands as the school’s No. 2 all-time leading scorer (1,846 points) and has the most made free throws with 488.