College Square re-opens after construction project

Sarah Smith

After an eight-month closure and $3.5 million in renovation costs, the College Square building at the corner of Lindo Paseo and College Avenue reopened March 2 for commercial use.

The rest of the building, which contains several classrooms, will be primarily used next semester by the College of Extended Studies.

The building is owned by Aztec Shops.

“(The building) had a lot of structural issues … they pretty much gutted it and started from scratch,” San Diego State Dining Services Director Paul Melchior said.

During the remodel, the building’s plumbing, electrical and ventilation systems were all upgraded.

Additionally, the building’s sprinkler systems were upgraded due to new fire code regulations that were not in effect at the time of the building’s original construction.

The building formerly contained a number of retail stores. However, none of these stores were very successful due to parking constraints, Melchior said.

Most of the building now contains new classrooms, and is home to just two commercial establishments: iGeek, an Apple product repair shop, and Starbucks, which was present in the previous incarnation of the College Square building.

Starbucks was closed during the renovations and Aztec Shops, which owns the franchise rights to the location, took the opportunity to do a “slight remodel” of the facility.

The Starbucks location has been expanded slightly to include a new dry storage room.

It also features a new outdoor patio space.

Construction on the renovation project began in May 2015 and was completed in January 2016.

The project cost approximately $3.5 million and was jointly funded by the College of Extended Studies and Aztec Shops.

Will Fritz
Will Fritz, Editor in Chief
Will Fritz is the editor in chief of The Daily Aztec for the 2018-19 academic year. A fourth-year journalism major, he's a weekend breaking news reporter for City News Service, an editorial intern at Voice of San Diego and president of SDSU's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Follow him on Twitter at @fritzed_, and contact him directly at (619) 594-4190 or editor@thedailyaztec.com.
Sarah Smith
Sarah Smith, Assistant Photo Editor
Sarah Smith is a senior at San Diego State University seeking a bachelor’s degree in the performing arts with a minor in Child and Family Development. Sarah has been an active member in Alpha Phi sorority throughout her time at State and recently returned from her semester abroad where she studied at the University of Kent in Canterbury, England. She has been a staff photographer for The Daily Aztec since her sophomore year and has enjoyed photographing everything from sports to concerts to events like Greenfest. Sarah hopes to one day move to Los Angeles and become a successful film actress.