Things to do in February

Whether it be to plan a date or to distract oneself from the impending misery of Valentine’s Day, it is critically important to know what is going on in San Diego entertainment this month. February will bear witness to some great shows, interesting exhibitions and quality television. Take a look at what the Entertainment Section is most excited about in February.

Once again, it’s that special time of year, where family and friends get together to watch a live event on television that is so entertaining, everyone in the living room will cheer and jeer at pivotal moments of the program. The show is not the Super Bowl, but the 84th Academy Awards.

This year, there are nine films nominated for Best Picture and all are worth checking out. Some truly memorable movies such as “Midnight in Paris,” “Tree of Life,” “Moneyball” and “The Help” are available on DVD, but the race is really between three superb pictures still out in theatres. Martin Scorsese’s “Hugo” stands a chance but “The Artist” currently seems the one to beat, earning high acclaim since its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.  It is a remarkable achievement; a film so emotionally impactful, audience members applauded at a recent screening at Landmark Theatres, Hillcrest.

If the Academy decides to go for something more grounded in reality, “The Descendants” might have a chance at winning some Oscar gold. With so much critical love, mostly aimed at co-writer and director Alexander Payne and George Clooney’s lead performance, it was nearly a given the comedic drama got a Best Picture nomination.

All will be revealed on Feb. 26, when the always-welcome Billy Crystal will perform the honors as master of ceremonies. Until then, there is still time to catch up with most, if not all, of the nominated movies.
Information about the 84th Annual Academy Awards can be found at oscars.org.

Yes, of the “Star Wars” hexalogy, it’s the worst one by a long shot. Yes, Jar Jar makes anyone over the age of five want to pour battery acid into their ears in the hopes of never hearing his voice again. And yes, director George Lucas can’t stop picking away at his own films like a sore that’s on the verge of turning gangrenous.

Nevertheless, “Star Wars Episode I – The Phantom Menace” will be re-released in theaters on Feb. 10 in 3D. And, as anyone who has ridden the recently updated 3D “Star Tours” ride at Disneyland will attest, it will be awesome. Wooden dialogue and questionable child acting aside, experiencing the pod-race sequence and the climactic lightsaber battle in 3D on the big screen is well worth the price of admission.

With many college seniors graduating this spring, the number one concern on everyone’s mind is how to find a job, but more importantly how to keep it. “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” may be just the thing to help cure the worries. The highly-acclaimed Broadway musical cleverly satires the American work-force in the 1950s. Abiding by the rules of the book “How to Succeed in Business,” J. Pierrepont Finch (Daniel Radcliffe), a young window washer, embarks on his journey from the mail room to the big leagues at the World Wide Wicket Company.

Along the way, chaos indubitably ensues and his unconventional methods seem to compromise everything from his job to a budding romance with the office secretary. Everyone from Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) to Harry Potter has starred as the lead in this fantastic musical, so it is definitely one for the ages. With outstanding music and big laughs, this is the perfect musical for any Broadway fan. “How To Succeed” will play at the Welk Theater at the Welk Resort in Escondido through Feb. 26. Prices and ages vary depending on the performance time and night.

To buy tickets or for more information, visit welktheatersandiego.com/

Having played the demo for “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning,” a new fantasy role-playing game from Big Huge Games and the new 38 Studios, I’ll say it will surely sate those looking for another fantasy romp on Feb. 7 for PC, Xbox360 and PS3.

If you’re looking for a dark, gritty shooter, look no further than “The Darkness II” from Digital Extremes on the Feb. 7 for PC, Xbox360 and PS3. Tearing apart foes with The Darkness while blasting baddies with big guns has never been such fun.

Feb. 21 will see the reboot of the “Syndicate” franchise hitting the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. EA’s Starbreeze Studios has created what looks to be the next great co-op first-person shooter and fans of the original are eagerly anticipating this release.

PS3 owners will also get two great exclusives this month. The “Jak and Daxter Collection” drops on Feb. 7 and will bring stereoscopic 3D and high-definition to the critically-acclaimed adventure series by Naughty Dog.
Eat Sleep Play’s latest game, “Twisted Metal,” is sure to delight fans of the franchise. Vehicular destruction and madness on the PS3, what’s not to love? Catch it Valentine’s Day. Oh, and don’t forget the “Mass Effect 3” demo on all these platforms the same day.

There is no need to travel to New Orleans to celebrate Fat Tuesday when San Diego hosts the largest Mardi Gras event on the West Coast. So on Feb. 21 grab some beads and head downtown for the 18th annual Gaslamp Mardi Gras Block Party. The night will be filled entertainment ranging from a masquerade parade to world class disk jockeys including DJ Colleen Shannon and The Crystal Method. Fifth Avenue will be blocked off and the streets will be filled with go-go dancers and several out-door stages for live performances.

The party will last from 6 p.m. to midnight. General admission tickets cost $20 dollars in advance and $25 at the door. VIP tickets are available for an additional $20 and include discounts on parking, free drinks and hotel specials so everyone can party responsibly as this is a 21 and older event.

For more information or to buy tickets visit gaslamp.org/mardi-gras.

San Diego’s drought of comedy clubs has finally come to an end. Mad House Comedy Club is up and running and bringing some hilarious acts to town. One of those acts is Bret Ernst. Bret has become well-known from his appearances on comedy specials such as Vince Vaughn’s Wild West Comedy Show and Comedy Central Presents. He has also made the rounds on the late night show circuit, being featured on Lopez Tonight, The Late Late Show, and also on Chelsea Lately.

Bret Ernst brings the laughs to Mad House on Friday, Feb. 10th and Saturday, Feb. 11th, performing at 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. both nights. Tickets for all shows are $20, ages 21 and older. Mad House Comedy Club is located on the top level of Horton Plaza in the Gaslamp Downtown, across from Nordstrom’s. Visit madhousecomedyclub.com for tickets.

For those looking for some highbrow entertainment around Valentine’s Day, the Copley Symphony Hall is featuring the Moscow Festival Ballet. The critically acclaimed ballet is performing Tchaikovsky’s Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake on Feb. 14 at 7:30 p.m. and Feb 15. at 7:30 p.m. respectively.  Tickets are $20-85.

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra will be in town on at 8 p.m. on Feb. 15 at Copley Symphony Hal as well. CSO will be performing two works from Schubert and Anna Clyne’s “Night Ferry.” Tickets can be purchased via phone or at the Ticket Box Office.

Those uninterested in wearing a top hat and monocle should check out Grammy Award-winning Los Lonely Boys at Belly Up Tavern on Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $42 in advance, $44 the day of show.

Ironically enough, in the wake of the Costa Concordia shipwreck that occurred Jan. 13, the San Diego Natural History Museum will soon host “Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition.” Beginning Feb. 10, the showcase will display 200 artifacts taken from the wreckage site of the ill-fated R.M.S. Titanic that sank 100 years ago this April. Visitors will receive boarding pass reproductions to grant them access to the exhibit, where recreations of the ship’s interior meet authentic items uncovered throughout the past 25 years since the wreckage’s discovery in September of 1985.

Tickets for “Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition” include general admission into the museum and admittance to the giant-screen theater which features rotating film screenings. They can be purchased for $27 for adults and $21 for students with IDs. The exhibition sets sail Sept. 9, so be sure to view it before the lifeboats are gone.

You may have seen them posted around campus…the rare and obscure flyers depicting a once-in-a-blue-moon cult favorite. Spike and Mike’s Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation is for those with a good sense of humor. It’s a perfect group outing guaranteed to strike up a lot of laughs and incessant conversation afterwards.

For those of you looking for creative ideas to shock or awe your Valentine’s day date this year, definitely take them to see this show. They may even throw up on your lap from excitement and you might get bonus points for providing an unforgettable evening.

A look at Spike & Mike’s résumé reveals the duo premiered “Beavis & Butthead,” “South Park,” “Wallace & Gromit” and the first Pixar animation shorts ever produced.

Don’t let the word “festival” scare you. You can see all this for around the same price as a regular movie ticket. The show runs midnight on Feb. 10, 11 and 17 at the Ken Theatre in Kensington. The festival is limited to those 18 and older.

Things to do in February