Young women need HPV vaccination

MCT Campus

The human papilloma virus is estimated to affect more than 25 percent of the at-risk female population, yet many women are not doing much about it, according to Newsweek.

HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer. Cervical cancer can lead to pregnancy complications and may inhibit future conception.

The vaccination GARDASIL, made by the pharmaceutical company Merck, may help prevent contracting HPV. GARDASIL could help put a stop to both cervical cancer and genital warts, which may also be caused by the virus.

The vaccine’s official Web site, www.gardasil.com explains, “GARDASIL is the only cervical cancer vaccine that helps protect against 4 types of human papillomavirus (HPV): 2 types that cause 70% of cervical cancer cases, and 2 more types that cause 90% of genital warts cases.” Doctors now recommend the vaccine for women ages nine to 26.

Even though the shot has been heavily promoted, not all young women are taking the initiative to get the vaccination. San Diego State has more than 19,000 women who would benefit from GARDASIL, but it is doubtful that many of them have gotten this vaccination. Newsweek reports that only 20 percent of women in the recommended age group have done so, and concluded that, “A variety of issues that may explain the low numbers: the high cost and inconvenience of the required three shots, a lack of awareness about HPV, the low number of regular physician visits among that age group, and parents’ unease over immunizing their kids against a disease contracted through sexual activity.”

These issues should not prevent women from protecting themselves and their partners. Because there is only one company that owns the vaccination formula, the shot tends to be expensive. However, a concern for the health of America’s women has led to Vaccinations for Children and Merck Vaccine Patient Assistance Program to offer help. Both programs may be able to pay for the vaccine for those who qualify and are unable to afford these shots.

While the shot needs to be taken in a series of three in order to be effective, it is worth the trouble to protect yourself against HPV. Many doctors’ offices will transfer the shot from one place to the other to make it as convenient as possible.

Making yourself aware about HPV is as easy as visiting GARDASIL’s Web site, or by simply searching Google for the effects of the virus.

Ladies of SDSU: Get vaccinated. It is the best defense against HPV, a virus that could have life-altering consequences.

Young women need HPV vaccination